Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,733  
Here's something most probably don't know. Thomas Edison, the "Wizard of Menlo Park" or whatever they used to call him, really wasn't much of a scientist. He didn't have even the most basic understanding of the chemistry that made a lightbulb work despite eventually becoming the inventor of the technology. What the dude had was a serious work ethic, like none you've ever seen. He just kept blindly plugging away, one experiment after another, until he hit success. This doggedness was the key to most of his prior and subsequent successes.

He was also a deplorable person, in many ways, plagiarizing or falsely claiming the work of many of his employees and rivals with increasing frequency, as his growing reputation permitted him more leeway to make such claims later in life. One of his employees, Charles Batchelor, should rightfully receive credit for most of the work on Edison's phonograph, but isn't even mentioned in the patent filing.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,734  
Here's something most probably don't know. Thomas Edison, the "Wizard of Menlo Park" or whatever they used to call him, really wasn't much of a scientist. He didn't have even the most basic understanding of the chemistry that made a lightbulb work despite eventually becoming the inventor of the technology. What the dude had was a serious work ethic, like none you've ever seen. He just kept blindly plugging away, one experiment after another, until he hit success. This doggedness was the key to most of his prior and subsequent successes.

He was also a deplorable person, in many ways, plagiarizing or falsely claiming the work of many of his employees and rivals with increasing frequency, as his growing reputation permitted him more leeway to make such claims later in life. One of his employees, Charles Batchelor, should rightfully receive credit for most of the work on Edison's phonograph, but isn't even mentioned in the patent filing.
Someone in my family (Dad's side) dated one of Edison's daughters. Dad showed me a letter years ago where he said Thomas Edison was always working on something and hard of hearing. A sign in his laboratory says "true genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration.
I heard that also he got lots of help & they didn't get credit.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,735  
His attitude that day is priceless how everyone would want to act during a traumatic injury.
I am trying to imagine going into my house and finding a pencil which I could pick up with my teeth. First open the desk drawer...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but believe there's something about the trauma of completely losing a limb which causes the arteries to contract, so that you don't lose as much blood.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,736  
I am trying to imagine going into my house and finding a pencil which I could pick up with my teeth. First open the desk drawer...
lol yeah good thing it wasn't a rotary phone... myself I am trying to imagine trying to fit that door nob in my mouth and rotating it to open the door.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,737  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but believe there's something about the trauma of completely losing a limb which causes the arteries to contract, so that you don't lose as much blood.
I am also trying to imagine the sh!% kicking id get if id bleed all over my mom brand new carpet .... just a dark joke I had too .. lol

Completely no, unless you believe (like i do) in forms inexplicable power like people who can stop bleeding or pain from burn but even then its not 100 stopped, now these below are the natural body mechanism to stop blood flow in a wound, my educated guess is what made him survive this experience was his calm composure and his semie seated position in the bathtub, (His mother carpet probably save his life) he could also had a strong vascular spasm. But the fact that the doctor or nurses told him '' I don't know how you are alive there is no more blood in you'' he bleed quite a bite.
  1. Vascular spasm: The injured blood vessel constricts to reduce blood flow and minimize bleeding.
  2. Platelet aggregation: Platelets, small cell fragments in the blood, adhere to the site of injury and release chemicals that attract more platelets. This forms a temporary plug to seal the damaged blood vessel.
  3. Coagulation cascade: A series of chemical reactions occur involving various proteins called clotting factors. These reactions ultimately lead to the conversion of fibrinogen (a soluble protein) into fibrin (an insoluble protein), forming a mesh-like structure that reinforces the platelet plug and stabilizes the blood clot.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,738  
A sign in his laboratory says "true genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration."
I've heard that quote all my life, and it's definitely applicable to Edison. So, do you think he made up that quote, or just adopted it?

I'm sure most here know of the "current wars" between him and Tesla, in which Edison's real dark side came out. Everything from electrocuting animals (even an Elephant!), to pulling strings to arrange to have the first electric chair run on AC... he was a total scum bag. But, you can't knock his work ethic! :ROFLMAO:

Of course, that's a little bit like saying Adolf was one heck of an efficient community organizer.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,739  
I've heard that quote all my life, and it's definitely applicable to Edison. So, do you think he made up that quote, or just adopted it?

I'm sure most here know of the "current wars" between him and Tesla, in which Edison's real dark side came out. Everything from electrocuting animals (even an Elephant!), to pulling strings to arrange to have the first electric chair run on AC... he was a total scum bag. But, you can't knock his work ethic!

Of course, that's a little bit like saying Adolf was one heck of an efficient community organizer.
I think it was Edison (DC) and Westinghouse (AC) that argued over current. Of course Westinghouse won out. I never thought of Edison as a scumbag, although "Topsy" electrocution was horrific, even though the elephant probably would have been euthanized anyway for attacking someone (supposedly).
Tesla was a sad story and a true genius.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,740  
I think it was Edison (DC) and Westinghouse (AC) that argued over current. Of course Westinghouse won out. I never thought of Edison as a scumbag, although "Topsy" electrocution was horrific, even though the elephant probably would have been euthanized anyway for attacking someone (supposedly).
Tesla was a sad story and a true genius.
Yep, you got the key points. But as always, there's some back-story. Tesla was briefly employed under Edison, but became frustrated working under him, when Edison refused to give any consideration to his AC current system. So, Tesla left Edison, and then shortly thereafter was hired by Westinghouse. Thus began the "current wars".

Tesla contributed the science and engineering, and Westinghouse contributed the budget and marketing, on their side of that divide.