Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#7,713  
In 1942 Illinois has over 12,000 school districts, the most of any state. Over 10,000 of these were one room schools with an enrollment of 12 students on average. I bring this up because there are two one room schools within 2 miles of my house.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,714  
In 1942 Illinois has over 12,000 school districts, the most of any state. Over 10,000 of these were one room schools with an enrollment of 12 students on average. I bring this up because there are two one room schools within 2 miles of my house.
I also have 2 one room school houses within 2 miles of my house. There are at least 5 one room schools within 5 miles of me. Each has ~20 kids, Amish of course.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,715  
I attended a rural one room school in SW Missouri. One teacher taught all 8 grades; pot belly stove for heat, windows for cooling, outside pump for water, and two three-holers for facililties.
No other accomodations, except one basket ball goal on a pole. Never saw it used, though, except for HORSE..."playground" was a rocky field.
The school was later moved to a park where it is now preserved for all posterity...It's called Chapman school, in Monett Missouri.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,716  
1709477240120.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,717  
My neighbor that passed at 106 was still flying to Hawaii alone at 100.

She grew up in Nevada attending a 1 room school house and at 16 went for 1 year to teacher college and then returned at age 17 in the role of teacher where she had been student at 16

She taught over 50 years and I went to her 100 birthday party in Reno and the line of people coming to see her went out the door… many with 3 generations she taught and in all walks of life from big ranch families, military, politicians, etc.

What amazed me is her quick wit and recall of the family names and what she remembered about each…

Something about hardy long lived Nevada pioneer stock where I live in Oakland making it well past 100 in the neighborhood…

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,719  
A list of hot springs in Nevada. I was not aware of hot springs in Nevada.
I was on a cross country bike tour in the 80s and happened to stop in Wall Drug SD. Someone overheard what we were doing and offered us an overnight tent stay in his back yard. They only had hot water coming from the spigot, and he commented about earlier filling the swimming pool with hot water. Huh, another hot area.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,720  
A list of hot springs in Nevada. I was not aware of hot springs in Nevada.
I was on a cross country bike tour in the 80s and happened to stop in Wall Drug SD. Someone overheard what we were doing and offered us an overnight tent stay in his back yard. They only had hot water coming from the spigot, and he commented about earlier filling the swimming pool with hot water. Huh, another hot area.
Yep... there does seem to be plenty around...

A friend was drilling for water and up came an artesian hot spring... Sonoma.

Scrambled to get it plugged as steaming water bubbling from the ground creating a stream is not what they were looking for... makes me wonder if I would sleep soundly if my home was over a geothermal cauldron?

Last edited: