Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,571  
The Catholic church and I parted ways for good about 25 years ago for many reasons so I wasn’t aware or never thought about how donations are done today. Do they still pass a plate at mass or is it only online now? I remember a lot of bake sales as well.

Here’s one for you. My grandfather became a catholic priest after my grandmother died.

He first entered the seminary (60 years ago?) but met my grandmother and life changed. She passed in the early 80s and he went back into the seminary at age 76 and was ordained at 80. The condition was he ministered to the sick and the elderly. He had a church in Dallas where he could do masses on Sundays. And he performed my wedding in 1988.
I used to know a Catholic priest that was married with children.... in his past. ;) His wife passed away and his kids grew up. He became a priest and was well liked at our parish. He was a farm boy from Wisconsin, about 15 years older than I am.

I hadn't seen the priest out and about for quite a while and one day I was with my wife somewhere, store maybe, and said "Hi. How are you? I haven't seen you for quite a while." To which he replied "I know." and gave me a wink. He was referring to my lack of attendance at church. :ROFLMAO:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,572  
Still pass a basket and folks have weekly envelopes.

But, the preferred donation process is online.
My wife still uses the envelopes every week. We get a statement every year, for tax purposes I guess? Or maybe just informational. ;)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,573  
I have a strong memory of the that daily ammonia smell.

Once we got the taste of the new plotters without the smell of the ammonia, we had one employee quit and go to a competitor that had completly done away with the old blueprint process. The purchase of extra plotters for Architectural drawings came fast as the company did not want to lose other employees in the department over the issue of a smell.
We used to have liquid toner proofers at the newspaper. Yuck.

They finally purchased several of these HP plotters and large capacity ink tanks. We adapted them to use newsprint roll stubs and that was that.

While I sometimes reminisce about the old days... this was not one of those times! ;)

IMG_3589.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,574  
I would not have been able to maintain my employment in those conditions, the ammonia smell really gets to me.
I would have to guess that the most I ever ran in one day was in the 10 to 15 sheet range. That was pushing my tolerance level of the smell.
Many or most industrial refrigeration systems use liquid ammonia as the the refrigerant instead of perhaps a Freon type. When there is a leak Everyone knows it. Instantly cleared sinuses. 😵‍💫. No leak detection system required.

Our food processing plant had a well documented capacity of I think 250 gallons of liquid ammonia in the system. When we had to buy more it had to be explained carefully to folks like the EPA.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,575  
I would not have been able to maintain my employment in those conditions, the ammonia smell really gets to me.
I would have to guess that the most I ever ran in one day was in the 10 to 15 sheet range. That was pushing my tolerance level of the smell.
When you need any employment to stay in school you can get you deal with it. Since it was a kind of “charity” by the company, they allowed me to work any hours or days I could.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,576  
I recall doing it myself so rarely that I would often put the special paper in the wrong way and get a blank print and a wasted sheet. I mean there is a 50/50 chance of getting it right, so that means there is a 100% chance I will do it wrong, right? :rolleyes: We had a couple guys that did it frequently but for me it was pretty rare to do and typically only a sheet or two. The big honkin' Xerox was da bomb. And yeah we got full size plotters later on too. We still have one but it is more often used for graphics for poster sessions and such rather than actual prints, as those are typically just electronic PDFs these days.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,580