Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,551  
My Grandfather was an artist and had a shop that did posters, certificates and other calligraphy. He also painted war bond posters during WWII, movie posters etc.

The site of all these people with fancy pens and drafting tables. Very few machines on site. My GF made his own frames and mats from stock wood and paper and glass sheets.

Was fun watching them at work. Now would be done at a kinkos by machines.

Except the gold leaf application. My GF would do most of that. Those sheets were amazingly thin.

Technology certainly changed paper communications.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#7,552  
I’m a retired land surveyor and worked for an engineering firm my entire career. We had a print machine that used a wet developer fluid for blue prints, no odor. I bet I ran thousands of prints through that machine. Now you just tell it how many copies you want and hit a button.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,553  
Nowadays with most donations online, the extra donation number is not as great.

The Catholic church and I parted ways for good about 25 years ago for many reasons so I wasn’t aware or never thought about how donations are done today. Do they still pass a plate at mass or is it only online now? I remember a lot of bake sales as well.

Here’s one for you. My grandfather became a catholic priest after my grandmother died.

He first entered the seminary (60 years ago?) but met my grandmother and life changed. She passed in the early 80s and he went back into the seminary at age 76 and was ordained at 80. The condition was he ministered to the sick and the elderly. He had a church in Dallas where he could do masses on Sundays. And he performed my wedding in 1988.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,554  
Don’t worry. I’m sure God will let you into heaven the same number of days you attended church :mad:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,555  
Don’t worry. I’m sure God will let you into heaven the same number of days you attended church :mad:
I'm doomed. Shoulda gotten hit by a truck 45 years ago. Everybody in our church back then thought I was going to the seminary.

Except me.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,556  
The Catholic church and I parted ways for good about 25 years ago for many reasons so I wasn’t aware or never thought about how donations are done today. Do they still pass a plate at mass or is it only online now? I remember a lot of bake sales as well.

Here’s one for you. My grandfather became a catholic priest after my grandmother died.

He first entered the seminary (60 years ago?) but met my grandmother and life changed. She passed in the early 80s and he went back into the seminary at age 76 and was ordained at 80. The condition was he ministered to the sick and the elderly. He had a church in Dallas where he could do masses on Sundays. And he performed my wedding in 1988.

Still pass a basket and folks have weekly envelopes.

But, the preferred donation process is online.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,558  
Here's my church story & love replies:
I was raised Methodist and my parents started going to a Quaker church because so many of their friends attended. This was when parents were in their 60s.
Dad passed at 88, Mom will be 97 in a few weeks. Although retired, my Dad tithed too much (IMHO)...$150 every Sunday.
Mom still attended church and wrote the $150 check after Dad passed. Starting a few years ago she didn't go every Sunday, bad weather or flu season and hard for caregivers driving her there.
Mom gets a letter in the mail a few months ago from the Quaker church, A BILL FOR $7,800!
($150 × 52 weeks)
I saw red! Of course I had her not pay and her caregiver called which is good because if I called couldn't be repeated here.
What would you do?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,559  
What would you do?

Same thing you did. And the emotions would have been stronger. Hell no!

I had a 100k Powerball win in 2002. Every preacher in my rural area who heard about it was telling me, “Remember your tithes!”
I’m like, um, no.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,560  
Religion is just like any other business, it's all about the money.

Years ago, someone, I don't remember who, said the fastest way to become a millionaire was to start a church.

I was raised in the Brethren church, went twice a week from birth to around age 25, when I figured out what religion was really about. People do more research on what kind of car to buy that they ever do on the history of their chosen religion.

Don't get me wrong, religion gives meaning to many peoples lives, and can be a great source of comfort and fellowship. My parents were very involved in their church all their lives and benefited greatly from it. I on the other hand, couldn't get past the hypocrisy, contradiction and lack of factual basis to give it any credence.

Everyone is an atheist, some of us just believe in one less god than others do. And there more of us than you could imagine.

Last edited: