Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,151  
This spring, for the first time since 1803, two cicada groups known as Brood XIX, or the Great Southern Brood, and Brood XIII, or the Northern Illinois Brood, are set to appear at the same time, in what is known as a dual emergence.

The last time the Northern Illinois Brood’s 17-year cycle aligned with the Great Southern Brood’s 13-year period, Thomas Jefferson was president. After this spring, it’ll be another 221 years before the broods, which are geographically adjacent, appear together again.

1705682453111.png

---------------

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,152  
This spring, for the first time since 1803, two cicada groups known as Brood XIX, or the Great Southern Brood, and Brood XIII, or the Northern Illinois Brood, are set to appear at the same time, in what is known as a dual emergence.

The last time the Northern Illinois Brood’s 17-year cycle aligned with the Great Southern Brood’s 13-year period, Thomas Jefferson was president. After this spring, it’ll be another 221 years before the broods, which are geographically adjacent, appear together again.

View attachment 847535
---------------

Bruce
So we should be prepared to get beaned by a lot of Cicadas flying into us :)
The location data does help it make more sense, since they keep saying Cicada madness is coming and we only see a few in Eastern PA.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,153  

View attachment 847535
---------------

Bruce
We had that in 2021, with our two largest broods coming due at the same time. Absolutely insane, the noise was almost deafening. Honestly, I'd guess the violated all OSHA guidelines for the unprotected ear.

There were a few weeks where they were just constantly jumping onto me while mowing, and I must've murdered them by the billions. I had just planted a dozen more oaks and elms, and they did serious damage to them, as they like to split the bark and lay their eggs in the underside of branches around 3/8" diameter. This will put a visual hurting on a mature tree, but nothing it can't handle. It's much more damaging to young trees.

It's weird that after a few weeks, you almost start to consider them your pets, as you're so surrounded by a constant mass of them. Then, they're gone... not to reappear in a similar convergence of broods for another 221 years.

We have a brood coming due again this year, but it'll be another 7 generations of my family before we see another year like 2021.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,154  
Ran across this clip recently of Steve Jobs addressing Stanford class of 2005.

My first thought is Steve Jobs dropped out of college???

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,156  
The song, "In the Ghetto", written by Mac Davis, was first offered to Sammy Davis Junior. He turned it down, because he had never lived that life, but instead suggested that if be offered to
Elvis, because of his humble background. The rest is history.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,157  
Yes and the sauce is sweeter due to more sugar...

The Philippine population has increased greatly here I'm the SF Bay Area and with it lots of Philippine stores and Philippine Fast Food now having Bay Area branches.

In 1991 when I started at the hospital we did not have a single employee with ties to the Philippines and today roughly half the care team has ties... mostly the RNs but also techs and a few Docs.

I try to learn a new Tagalog word each day as may 20% of our patient census have ties to the Philippines.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,158  

The Philippine population has increased greatly here I'm the SF Bay Area and with it lots of Philippine stores and Philippine Fast Food now have Bay Ares branches.

In 1991 when I started at the hospital we did not have a single employee with ties to the Philippines and today roughly half the care team has ties... mostly the RNs but also techs and a few Docs.

I try to learn a new Tagalog word each day as may 20% of our patient census has ties to the Philippines.
Estimated 1.6 million Filipinos in Ca.
4.5 million in the US. I think these people are hard working and make a significant contribution to our American way of life

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,159  
We have Filipino friends, tagalog is interesting, but they speak spanish and english too.
One of them married to a Belgian, so a lot of different languages spoken in one family.
Not a fan of filipino food, but Belgians can cook french and Italian.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,160  

The Philippine population has increased greatly here I'm the SF Bay Area and with it lots of Philippine stores and Philippine Fast Food now have Bay Ares branches.

I try to learn a new Tagalog word each day as may 20% of our patient census has ties to the Philippines.
I was in one of my employer's buildings the other day and one of the custodians said something to me and I answered in Spanish. :oops:

I don't speak Spanish. 😝

At least I don't think I do. Must be rubbing off on me. 🙃