Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,971  
To get back to Earth, after having achieved an orbit. You can't just use rockets again to slow you down for reentry.
Uh yes, that's exactly how you lower your orbit for reentry.
What do you think is the method?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,973  
Moose were used a lot more then you think in the old days,

this is a prospector in Alaska Not sure if its real but it is claimed to be...
1704887246786.png

Beginning in the winter of 1910, St. Albert's mail began to be delivered by moose-drawn carriage. The two postal moose, Pete and Nelly, were owned by W.R. “Buffalo Bill” Day, and they transported mail between the different communities of the region, going as far north as Wabasca and as far south as Edmonton.

1704887306548.png

Then there's the soviet moose cavalry

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,974  
We also do have metes and bounds surveyed lots... then there are many like mine which simply say "...easterly by the land of *.* to a point; then southerly by the land of *.* to the land of *.*, then..."
"Containing 20 acres more or less."
And even in New York you can have deeds referencing physical points or like mine, so many feet along the stone wall to another stone for so many to another for so many ft and another and so many from that wall to the original starting point. All four bounds on mine are referenced to stone walls.
While my present property has modern survey markers (the previous owner had sold off a piece of it in the 80s, and had the whole piece surveyed), my previous house's deed was like that. So many rods this way, and that way with "stake and stones" as the lot corners. As Jstpssng noted, all noted abutters who likely hadn't been around since the early 1900s. I didn't really find all my property lines until maybe 20 years later when an abutting piece of land was subdivided, and the surveyors doing that flagged them. Turns out my property went further back than I thought it did!
:)
I never would have found those boundary markers on my own.

Interestingly, I bought an adjoining piece of property a few years after buying the house, and the deed did not contain any reference to my other lot!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,975  
Moose were used a lot more then you think in the old days,

this is a prospector in Alaska Not sure if its real but it is claimed to be...
View attachment 845844

Beginning in the winter of 1910, St. Albert's mail began to be delivered by moose-drawn carriage. The two postal moose, Pete and Nelly, were owned by W.R. “Buffalo Bill” Day, and they transported mail between the different communities of the region, going as far north as Wabasca and as far south as Edmonton.

View attachment 845845

Then there's the soviet moose cavalry

I bought a newspaper in Vermont about 20 years ago. It showed a picture taken at a fair around 1900 of two Skandinavian immigrants who had a team of moose, and a team of elk, if I remember correctly. I haven't seen it in years and may have tossed it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,977  
Well, they have air brakes. Oh, wait a minute. There’s no air up there. OOPS!
Before trains had air brakes, some had vacuum brakes.

"The vacuum brake is a braking system employed on trains and introduced in the mid-1860s. A variant, the automatic vacuum brake system, became almost universal in British train equipment and in countries influenced by British practice. Vacuum brakes also enjoyed a brief period of adoption in the United States,..."

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,978  
Used to be real common to have the road going between the house and barn with not much free space between them. Single lane dirt roads it wasn't too bad. The paved roads especially when they widened them ended up with a lot of eminent domain being used to seize land to widen roads.
There are two heavily-traveled roads near here, which I used to drive daily, where the road is so close to a structure that you're literally driving under the eve of the roof. Sometimes a problem, when tall trucks ignore max height limit signs.

One is in a village named "Devil's Half Acre", and I used to drive through it every day on my way to/from work. There's a spot so narrow in that road, where it turns around the corner of a barn, that there used to be constant accidents before they eventually installed stop signs going both directions. The other is in Forrest Grove, and you go under the eave of a house as you come off an old narrow stone bridge, and turn to go up a hill. We almost flipped a van there once, as a deer was waiting in our lane just around the corner as you came around the house.

Some times the roads would get rerouted if the seizure would cost more then the rerouting. Made for a lot of hard feelings in the 60's around here.
I think they managed it a little better here, but at the expense of traffic flow. We have pinch spots (Lederach, anyone?) where traffic routinely backs up a half mile, due to not wanting to take out a historic house or inn at a critical intersection.

Near me is Bootleg Rd... wonder what the early settlers here did :unsure:
There's a "Need Hammer Road", not far from here. Always found that one amusing, even for a guy who grew up near Devil's Half Acre.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,979  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,980  
Don't they have brakes?

:D

Bruce
You laugh but
most satellites are low enough that there actually is some drag and they actually need to occasionally fire thrusters to maintain the orbit lest it decay [nb, most satellites are not in geostationary orbits nor are they high enough to avoid drag issues].

In the movie "2010", their spacecraft deployed huge airbags to increase drag ("aerobraking") to reduce speed to enter an orbit around Jupiter; you could do the same with a satellite to get its orbit to decay more rapidly, though it would likely still take some time... and it would be much less complex to just carry a little bit of fuel for one final burn to slow it down in its orbit, which would cause it to drop towards the Earth somewhat - typically a much more elliptical orbit which causes the satellite to encounter more and more atmosphere with every pass, slowing it down more and more, dropping it more and more... until it falls all the way (well, parts of it will just vaporize, but those will likely fall as well as "space dust" eventually).