Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,961  
Near me Last Chance Rd and Ragged Ass Rd...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,963  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,964  
The PLSS (public land survey system) where the ground was surveyed into square miles started in some of Indiana and goes from there west. There are some exceptions, Texas being one and parts of Ohio were divided into squares. Where possible they built the roads along the section lines is why when you fly over those states you see the checkerboard pattern.

The eastern states are called metes and bounds states where the deeds are like pieces of a puzzle that hopefully fit together.
same as us in ontario it’s divided that way … it was measured with survey chain of 66’, each lot is 150 acres 25 chain wide by 60 long. That also why the standard measurement for one acre is 66’ wide by 660’ long so one chaîne wide by 10 long

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,965  
same as us in ontario it’s divided that way … it was measured with survey chain of 66’, each lot is 150 acres 25 chain wide by 60 long. That also why the standard measurement for one acre is 66’ wide by 660’ long so one chaîne wide by 10 long
Also true in Maine, the state was divided up into (more or less) squares, 6 miles on each side. Unlike out west though, a certain amount of acreage in each township was retained so that if the town was incorporated that land would support schools, either from selling the land or simply cutting the wood. Some of those lots still exist although many tracts in towns which were never incorporated were swapped toward larger parcels in the mid to late 1980s.

We also do have metes and bounds surveyed lots... then there are many like mine which simply say "...easterly by the land of *.* to a point; then southerly by the land of *.* to the land of *.*, then..."
"Containing 20 acres more or less."

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,966  
And even in New York you can have deeds referencing physical points or like mine, so many feet along the stone wall to another stone for so many to another for so many ft and another and so many from that wall to the original starting point. All four bounds on mine are referenced to stone walls.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,969  
Sounds like a good place to burn rubber