Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#5,401  
I hadn’t thought about picking up the front tires, that’s going to change things for sure. Then there’s deep staging, where you roll in deep and make the pre-stage lights go out.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,402  
The idea is to "stage" your car the same way every time. Driver's preference here. I've known drivers that always "deep staged", made the Pre-Stage light go out (the one at the very top of the tree), swearing that it cut down on their reaction time. I never did, too easy to "Red Light". I always stopped as soon as the Stage light went solid. Once you get used to (with practice) how your individual car "reacted" at launch, you could learn which yellow light to "leave" on.

So in my case, I would do my burn out, then immediately Pre-Stage, and then immediately Stage. Once the "other guy" (in the lane beside me) got done diddle-whizzing around (somehow it became "fasionable" to bunny hop and chirp tires after the burn out, which I was always grateful when my opponent was stupid enough to do that), and actually staged, we'd sit for a few seconds, and the tree would start. I would launch my car on the "second yellow" (normally), and that would have me cutting a pretty fast light (a very short reaction time).

My car would pick up the front tires and "carry" them past the tree. As long as you launched the same way each time, you could factor that into your routine.

And off we'd go.

Sometimes track conditions can affect how "hard" your car will launch (track pavement temperature), if you'd swapped on fresh slicks, or if you changed the air pressure (or God forbid, size) of your slicks, etc. Any driveline changes (gear ratio's, differential, trans, etc) can also affect your car's reaction time. Same with some suspension changes. But once you "learned" your car, (at least mine) stayed pretty consistent.

Also, at the other end of the track, the actual timing lights would be arranged so that the first light you broke the beam on was the one that stopped the timer. The second light, a short distance beyond, was the light you broke that would measure your mph. I always kept my foot in it until I passed the second (mph) light beam. Made for better bragging rights in the pits later.

😁

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,403  
When we raced a local friend rigged up a section of black plastic down low under his Vega on an electric window opener. You couldn't see it but he would flip the switch before the top end which tripped the beam.
He won a lot of races...never got caught.
This was a very good friend Herman Lewis, Beckley WV, 19 World records SS/A. He ran a 390 Rambler, shown holding an intake he designed. Amazing fellow...running high 7s, low 8s shifting gears (1/4m).
2023_01_31_18.44.31.jpg
2023_02_11_17.59.41.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,407  
I recall one guy in what looked like his mom's station wagon. It ran 17s and he'd usually win because it was very consistent, and, it would tick off folks with fast cars and they'd either red light at the start or break out at the end.
That's the name of the game in bracket racing, consistency.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,408  
I've always wondered how fund raisers send a coin or pen etc through regular envelope mail?

I sent 3 Kwikset house keys tape individually and it came back unmailable.

Went to the post office with my micrometer and said it meets weight and dimensional requirements and no argument but station master said if I want my letter to reach the destination I need a pouch or box...
I find tons of loose keys and quite a few thumb drives and a goodly amount of loose change after a run. One night I found 13 hundred dollar bills scattered throughout the machine! A short while later I found and open envelope with receipts in it indicating the $1300 was from the Fraternal Order of Police. As far as I know, it was delivered to them after resealing the envelope. Be sure to always seal your envelopes too. Pictures and letters to grandma fall out and get lost with no way to return them to their sender. If the stuff inside was a uniform thickness, it will usually make it through. If it is too stiff, the stiffness detectors will kick it out before it hits the really tight turns. Same if it is too thick, gets kicked out on the AFCS machines (Automated Facer Canceller System) The first machine your letter size envelope goes through. These machines run about 36,000 pieces per hour, if running good clean mail. That seldom occurs however. Netflix used to run their DVDs through these machines, most of them made it in one unbroken piece!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,409  
I listened to Col. Coffee, a Navy flier, some time ago talking about his capture and time spent in the "Hanoi Hilton" He compared using an ejection seat to driving a convertible 600MPH, top down of course, then standing up! Ouch!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,410  
I never thought I'd celebrate a headache until I had a couple of vertebrae fused and the doctor didn't want me to take anti-inflammatories for six months. Today marks six months and two days. I felt a headache coming on and just celebrated with some ibuprofen.