Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,391  
Yep. I did bracket racing with my motorcycle. It's pretty fun. The first few times it's pretty unnerving to see the guy in the other lane leave and you have to wait 3 seconds before you can leave. And then you catch up to him and blow him away, but you still lose because you went TOO FAST! :ROFLMAO:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,392  
I recall one guy in what looked like his mom's station wagon. It ran 17s and he'd usually win because it was very consistent, and, it would tick off folks with fast cars and they'd either red light at the start or break out at the end.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,393  
This is how the slower car can win by cutting a better light.
I'm not familiar with this term, would you explain it, please?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,394  
My little Yamaha RD400 would run consistently between 11:92 and 11:95. So I'd always dial in at 11:90.

When you came in you could race for cash or race for trophy. All of us raced for cash.

Some days, there'd only be a few bikes and first place would get 10-15 bucks, second 5-7 bucks, and third 2 bucks!

I recall a day when I won $7 and did about $600 in damage.

Doing it for the love, not the money has a real meaning there! 🙃

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,396  
1692369885659.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,397  
My car runs high 8’s, a slightly modified 2010 Dodge Challenger. That’s my 1/8 mile time.;)
Nice! But when I said 9 second car, I was talking 1/4 mile times! :p

Of course, at least back then, we always rounded down for bragging rights. My fastest time on my fastest car was 9.81 seconds at 1/4 mile.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,398  
I was pleased with my 65 Impala SS when she could turn under 11 at Orange County International and still drive back to El Toro MCAS.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#5,399  
I'm not familiar with this term, would you explain it, please?
Most tracks a perfect light is 0.00. I‘ll explain how that works. Most tracks have two sets of staging lights, pre-stage and stage. This shows up on the Christmas Tree at the top. The Christmas tree has lights at the top for pre stage, then stage, then as you go lower, three yellows, then green, then red. There is this set of lights for both lanes.

There are two light beams that go across the track, kind of like garage door opener sensors, that are low on the track. These are perpendicular to the track, The pre-stage is just a warning meaning you’re close to the start line, when you hit it the light blinks on, it means you broke the beam. When you hit the start line, the stage light comes on, you broke the beam with the front of your tire. When both cars are staged a starter starts the tree.

What you see as a racer on an amateur tree starting at the top is yellow, pause, yellow pause, yellow pause, green. Your front tire has to move enough that the beam has to shine behind it, so you have to move several inches for the light to shine under it. The time between when the light shines under your car and hits the sensor on the other side and the light turns green is your reaction time.

Say there is 1 second between when the beam shines behind your tire and the light turns green. You had a 1 second reaction time, not good. Say you have a good reaction time, your car is actually moving as the light turns green since it doesn’t trigger anything until the light shines under your car, basically the distance from the front of your front tire to the rear of it. A red light means the beam shined under your car before the light turned green.

Probably not a great explanation on my part.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,400  
Probably not a great explanation on my part.
Actually, it's a pretty good explanation, but confounded by the fact that most cars running under 10 second quarters are pulling their front tires straight up off the ground, rather than traveling horizontally through the gating beam. :D