Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,131  
I grew up spending summers at the Jersey shore, where the various bays can have a very ripe salt smell. Loved the feel of salt that would settle on your skin and hair after a day out on the boat, fishing or water skiing. Many have said that the Pacific looks better, but the Atlantic smells better, and I think it's true.

I never saw much appeal in lakes, until I got into my 30's and started regularly sailing on local lakes. But now after 15 years of that, I've developed a separate (albeit shallower) nostalgia for the lakes, and all that comes with them.

But now my kids go sailing with me, and always complain about the smell of lakes, versus the ocean or Jersey bays. Chips off the old block, I guess, I felt the same at their age. One thing I can say for the lakes, they're a lot less hard on trailers and boating hardware. Lakes eat wood boats, but salt water eats trailers and rigging.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,132  
The United States wasn’t the first country to develop a jet-powered fighter aircraft, but it was definitely the first in which a pilot flew wearing a gorilla mask and derby hat while holding a cigar.

It seems the test pilot for what would become the Bell P-59 Airacomet had a pretty robust sense of humor.

Sadly, not everyone got the joke – especially those who didn’t know what the P-59 was. All they saw was a mysterious, fast-moving aircraft flown by a comical gorilla, in the skies over a secret aircraft testing area in the middle of World War II.

If you think about it, it’s actually not that bad of an idea. If you’re flying a top secret, experimental airplane in the middle of the day when other pilots are in the air, it makes sense to help create a story so outlandish that no one on the ground would ever believe it.

In 1942, the Bell P-59, the United States’ first jet engine fighter aircraft, took to the skies for the first time. It was America’s entry in the race for an operational jet-powered fighter for use in the war. Britain’s Royal Air Force was already a year into developing its fighter, and Nazi Germany had been testing one since 1939.

Bell Aircraft’s senior test pilot was Jack Woolams, a veteran of the U.S. Army Air Corps, fearless record setter and renowned practical joker. Had he not died in a postwar plane crash in 1946, he would have been the first person to break the sound barrier in the Bell X-1 rocket plane, instead of Chuck Yeager.

Woolams tested a number of aircraft for Bell during WWII, but none of them would see service with the United States. Instead, most ended up in the Soviet Air Force, where prop-driven planes like the P-39 Airacobra were used to decimate the German Luftwaffe on the Eastern Front.

The P-59 Airacomet, however, was never going to end up in the hands of the USSR. Its existence was a closely guarded secret, one that only the British knew about, because they lent the U.S. their jet engine designs.

In order to keep it secret, American airmen would use some pretty creative deception tactics to dupe outsiders (and potential spies) who might be looking for anything unusual on the flightline. The Airacomet was often fitted with a fake propeller on its nose, so it wouldn’t stand out while taxiing.

Woolam’s practical jokes on the ground continued even while he was in the air, according to author Sterling Michael Pavelec’s book “The Jet Race and the Second World War.” While flying the only jet aircraft in the skies over the United States, a plane no one else in the air knew about, he would join formations of propeller planes wearing the gorilla mask and derby hat, holding a “stogie.”

It’s important to remember that pilots had a pretty good view of one another at this time in aviation history, and the sight of a gorilla flying a plane with no propeller – which pilots believed was necessary for flight – must have been more than a little surprising.

The P-59 Airacomet would ultimately never be used in combat. Germany was the only belligerent country of WWII whose jet fighter became operational during wartime, but this came much too late to affect the outcome of the war.

Still, its speed and maneuverability made piston engine planes obsolete. By the time the U.S. entered its next major conflict, the skies over those battlefields would be dominated by jet engines.

I don't have a cite for this but didn't the P51 Mustang account for a MIG 15 in Korea?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,135  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #4,136  
Roy Disney (Walt is his uncle) set the monohull record in 2002 in the Chicago to Mackinac sailboat race, the longest freshwater sailboat race in the world, with a time of 23 hours 30 minutes. (333 miles).

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#4,137  
They speculate the ME262, Germanys WW2 jet aircraft may have broken the sound barrier during the war. It probably didn’t but they didn’t know one way or the other at the time.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#4,138  
Mackinac Island in Michigan doesn’t allow motor vehicles. The only motorized vehicles are ambulances and fire trucks.