Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,112  
As @MossRoad wrote carburetors are voodoo embodied. They are amazing pieces of embodied wisdom, creativity and engineering. Whether they were/are over the "over-engineered" line at some point I think is up for grabs on some models.

To anyone who has successfully retuned or tuned dual (or more) carburetors, I bow down deeply to superior engineering and technical expertise. That is true voodoo in my book, but it must feel great to have done it successfully.

All the best,

Peter
I had two carbs on my RD400. Does that count?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,113  
I had two carbs on my RD400. Does that count?
Counts in my book. You still have to balance them.

Did someone mention voodoo?

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,114  
I used to enjoy working on quadrajet carbs. Of course I also rode Yamaha Venture V4's with 4 carburetors nestled down in the V of the engine.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#4,115  
I never tuned dual 4 barrels but I did a 440 6 barrel on a Road Runner I owned. It ran great except I never could get it to idle right. I suspected an air leak but couldn’t find it.

The original 426 Hemi had dual 4 barrels, Carter AFB’s. Just driving around it just ran on two barrels of one carb. Stomp the gas and things happened. You don’t just want all 4 barrels to open at once, that needs to happen as the engine revs up. You step on the gas all 4 throttle blades open at once but two barrels on each carb had an air valve with a counter weight that opened up as vacuum increased. This allowed a “tip in“ so they opened more gradually.

If you added headers, changed cams or other things to change the engine you would want to change the way these air valves opened. The only way was to grind weight off the counter weight or add weight to it. Add in a dual point distributor and a solid lifter cam and they were tough to keep running well.
A39F267C-3D41-48D4-98C4-C57551DF9258.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,120  
Speaking of flat...think of this next time you eat flounder (I love flounder).
"Larval flounder are born with one eye on each side of their head, but as they grow from the larval to juvenile stage through metamorphosis, one eye migrates to the other side of the body. As a result, both eyes are then on the side which faces up."

"but as they grow from the larval to juvenile stage through metamorphosis"

And here I always thought flounders were fish. Fish do not have a larval stage or metamorphosis...or so I thought but it is on the internet so....