Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,101  
Carbs are like voodoo. I have fond memories of taking a carb apart on a picnic table at my parents' house, cleaning it all out, rebuilding it with new parts, and having my friends watch all thinking "that's never gonna work again" :rolleyes:

Well, it did work. HA! 🤣

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,102  
I was talking with friend about rebuilding carburetors and he told me about the first time he tried. He took it apart in a pan full of solvent, got it all cleaned up and then threw the solvent out....... along with all the small springs, balls and clips.

Doug in SW IA

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,103  
I will be rebuilding two carbs soon... one from my 8N, the other from my TO35.
The 8N ran when I parked it nearly 10 years ago but hopefully needs a head gasket. I changed the oil and antifreeze, hopefully it will run again.
I bought a brand new carb for the TO in 2020, installed it as well as a new shutoff valve and fuel lines. Shut the fuel off, dumped 3 gallons of gas into the tank... and watched it run down through everything onto the ground.
I walked away from it disgusted and frustrated, later that year we dragged it back into the barn and it hasn't moved since. I realize all that I had to do was adjust the float, but I didn't shell out nearly $200 for a new carb just so that I could take it apart.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,104  
Speaking of Possums...I recall when I was in Jr. high, we lived in a very rural area. Came home one evening, and there was a possum in the yard, near the house. My Dad chased it down, caught it, put his foot on its head and pulled on its tail until he heard a "pop". He threw it away from the house, assuming it was dead.

Next morning, it was gone...playing possum. About a month or so later, coming home late, we saw a similar possum in the yard, but minus its tail.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,105  
once we were riding bikes through a pasture and there was a dead cow that seemed to be moving...poked it with a stick and five possums came running out the carcass...

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#4,106  
Carburetors are really pretty good technology if you look at how they work. With computer technology and all the feedback from the different sensors on cars it’s tough to beat modern technology though compared to carburetors. I had my 2010 Challenger tuned on a dynamometer and they put a wide band O2 sensor in the tail pipe to read the air fuel ratio. The curve is as flat as a pancake.

A couple of days ago I got a new carb for a Lawn Boy 2 stroke push mower from Amazon. I regret that choice, I should have rebuilt the old one. I‘m not sure exactly what it was I swapped from the old carb to the new one, an air bleed or idle jet, but it ran fine after that, it just took 3 or 4 hours to figure that out. A pic of the new carb and the mower.
1F7E5483-7777-4F5F-9A0E-C47939799804.jpeg
A8534439-8374-4D31-A3DC-B84C2F3E8AE6.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,107  
Speaking of Possums...I recall when I was in Jr. high, we lived in a very rural area. Came home one evening, and there was a possum in the yard, near the house. My Dad chased it down, caught it, put his foot on its head and pulled on its tail until he heard a "pop". He threw it away from the house, assuming it was dead.

Next morning, it was gone...playing possum. About a month or so later, coming home late, we saw a similar possum in the yard, but minus its tail.
Yikes! 🙃

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,108  
Carburetors are really pretty good technology if you look at how they work. With computer technology and all the feedback from the different sensors on cars it’s tough to beat modern technology though compared to carburetors. I had my 2010 Challenger tuned on a dynamometer and they put a wide band O2 sensor in the tail pipe to read the air fuel ratio. The curve is as flat as a pancake.

A couple of days ago I got a new carb for a Lawn Boy 2 stroke push mower from Amazon. I regret that choice, I should have rebuilt the old one. I‘m not sure exactly what it was I swapped from the old carb to the new one, an air bleed or idle jet, but it ran fine after that, it just took 3 or 4 hours to figure that out. A pic of the new carb and the mower.
View attachment 796535View attachment 796536
That's a classic

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,109  
Just call a country girl to remove the possom.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #4,110  

View attachment 796535View attachment 796536
As @MossRoad wrote carburetors are voodoo embodied. They are amazing pieces of embodied wisdom, creativity and engineering. Whether they were/are over the "over-engineered" line at some point I think is up for grabs on some models.

To anyone who has successfully retuned or tuned dual (or more) carburetors, I bow down deeply to superior engineering and technical expertise. That is true voodoo in my book, but it must feel great to have done it successfully.

All the best,

Peter