Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,481  
We were on a party line till the late 80's. The neighbours were nosy till then too!
Don't recall exactly when, but I was on one well into the 80s, until the phone company no longer offered them. Toward the end I was the only party on the line, but still paid the party line rate. I also had measured service until the mid 90s when I got a computer (with modem...dial-up internet ate up those message units in a hurry!). I didn't (and still don't) use the phone all that much and that was one way to keep the cost to a minimum.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,482  
We were on a party line till the late 80's. The neighbours were nosy till then too!
I had the $16.74 electronics kit. Notice the phone amplifier, where I could tap the phone line and record the conversations. Not a real big seller today.
page0531.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,483  
Don't plan on being embalmed. My choice would be drop me in a hole on a hill side overlooking a holler. Somehow the government wants the land donated to them in order to do that. Maybe I'll just drag myself to nice spot and feed the wildlife or be cremated so I can be put where my should be. These days even death has "rules"
The oldest part of our house was built 1734, and then a much larger structure was built over that in 1775. When I moved in, there were three our four red shale stones on the edge of the woods that backed up our property, which looked an awful lot like the very old (1700's) head stones you see in our local churches. I always suspected they were actually for pets, as it seemed all of the prior residents (since at least 1775) used a local church cemetery, but they got plowed under when our new neighbor was clearing the lot to build his house. Makes you wonder...

When did The Star-Spangled Banner officially became the national anthem?
The author of the lyrics, FS Key, is an uncle of mine. We have one of the few original photos of him hanging in our living room, a very small picture in a very large frame.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,484  
My grandparents didn't get rid of their party line till around 2000

Once dad sold his place. His place was dropped off that line.

So the only other place hooked up to the party line was a hunting camp 1/4 mile away. That phone up there only got used for a weeks put of the year during deer season. Then, once or twice when they visited the camp in summer.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,485  
Don't drink the "kool aid".

Actually it was Flavor Aid.

Probably one of the few times a product dodged being linked to a tragic event.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,486  
Don't drink the "kool aid".

Actually it was Flavor Aid.

Probably one of the few times a product dodged being linked to a tragic event.
That Flavor Aid was some nasty tasting stuff. Came in a little bottle like a tall airline liquor bottle IIRC. Saccharine?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,487  
The author of the lyrics, FS Key, is an uncle of mine. We have one of the few original photos of him hanging in our living room, a very small picture in a very large frame.

I live close to his birthplace.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,488  
The oldest part of our house was built 1734, and then a much larger structure was built over that in 1775. When I moved in, there were three our four red shale stones on the edge of the woods that backed up our property, which looked an awful lot like the very old (1700's) head stones you see in our local churches. I always suspected they were actually for pets, as it seemed all of the prior residents (since at least 1775) used a local church cemetery, but they got plowed under when our new neighbor was clearing the lot to build his house. Makes you wonder...

Would love to see a picture of it! It must have a great historical significance; FSK, according to Wikipedia, died in 1843...photography was very new at that time, and only a few photos exist prior to that period. I'll bet there are museums that would love to get it or a copy!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,489  
Would love to see a picture of it! It must have a great historical significance; FSK, according to Wikipedia, died in 1843...photography was very new at that time, and only a few photos exist prior to that period. I'll bet there are museums that would love to get it or a copy!
Thanks for asking, mostly because you made me realize I have no digital backup of that photo! My sister had it mounted years ago, as a gift for me, before we bothered with digital photos. Gonna have to pull it out of its mounting and scan it for safe keeping, sometime soon.

In any case, I just snapped a copy with my phone, hopefully this comes thru okay enough.

IMG_9051.JPG IMG_9052.JPG

We actually have a lot of very old family photos, tin types and such, a result of our family staying in the same neighborhood since the early 1700's. When one of the generations-old houses gets sold, lots of interesting stuff always turns up in the clean-out process.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,490  
Thanks for asking, mostly because you made me realize I have no digital backup of that photo! My sister had it mounted years ago, as a gift for me, before we bothered with digital photos. Gonna have to pull it out of its mounting and scan it for safe keeping, sometime soon.

In any case, I just snapped a copy with my phone, hopefully this comes thru okay enough.

View attachment 786658 View attachment 786657

We actually have a lot of very old family photos, tin types and such, a result of our family staying in the same neighborhood since the early 1700's. When one of the generations-old houses gets sold, lots of interesting stuff always turns up in the clean-out process.
Quoting myself now, but looking online at drawings and paintings of FS Key, I'm beginning to wonder if my sister or some prior relative hadn't mixed up photos, somewhere along the way. It can be hard to match up a photo taken later in life with a drawing or painting made during one's early life, but the eyebrow ridge seems all wrong, in matching this photo to any known drawing or painting of FS Key. The nose and hair are easy to imagine from known paintings to this photo, but I just can't get past the difference in eyebrow ridge. The age also makes it suspect, as the quality of this photo is remarkably good for 1840's.

Looking at it closely now, I almost wonder if this is a photo of his son (he also had a son name Francis), which over the generations has been mistaken for the original poet lawyer. Anyone who's seen a few episodes of Antiques Roadshow is familiar with the way such details can be mixed up, when handed down thru a half dozen generations of a family.