Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,391  
EV's aren't worth beans in cold weather.. Just expensive rocks.
That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it is an issue that the auto industry marketing departments purposely downplay. I dislike how they always only advertise he maximum possible range for their EV. I think they should also be required to publish the minimum possible range. Or maybe the range at 70 degrees and the range at 0 degrees under standard conditions or something similar. Sort of like a ICE vehicle's city/highway mileage.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,392  
How many millions of dollars do you tink they have saved this way over the yrs? Its no accident.
Companies save -0-, abandoned accounts get turned over, (escheated) to the state after a few years. The state holds the money until someone wakes up and makes a claimed. I've seen $ abandoned generations ago finally get claimed.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,393  
Certain states have a time limit on how long the state has to wait before taking the money permanently.
I had a band (td) take my money even though it was under two years since activity.
Seems they were putting in a new system and used that to Escheat my money.
Took me 6 months to get it back, and they even admitted they might have handed it to the state too soon, but could not fix that, or even apologize :-(

The bank has supposedly sent me notice by mail (even though they had my email and phone number), ends up they sent it to my old address for no apparent reason.

So the money was escheated to NJ instead of PA. So I had to deal with NJ, even though the bank was in PA.

Lesson here is to check in each state you have lived in.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,395  
I tell you something some of you may not know- The Germans build the finest farm machinery in the world.
1. Fendt tractors. Claas, too but they aren’t here in the US (yet).
2. Mann diesel engines
3. Krone & Claas hay balers, planters, rakes, tedders, etc.

Oh, and the rest of Northern Europe ain’t far behind.…

Sisu, Pottinger, Valtra, Deutz, Valmet, just to name a few.
German engineering, especially automotive and machine tool engineering, is fantastic. But at the same time... I'll put Milwaukee up against Fein, Starrett up against Bruck, Boeing up against Airbus, Cummins up against Mann, and Deere up against Fendt. Hell, depending on the decade, I'd even put a Cadillac or a Chrysler up against a Mercedes. There's a reason the UK and France needed us in WW2, and it wasn't for our soldiers, although there's no denying they helped. It was our manufacturing and engineering capability, upon which we continue to dominate the world.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,396  
EVs make people feel warm and fuzzy about burning fosil fuel generated power.
So, you're pretending the net efficiency of your internal combustion engine is the same as that of even a fossil-fuel powered electric utility plant?

Yes, a reasonable fraction of the electric power used to charge your EV is still coming from fossil fuels. But there's no denying that it's a smaller faction (versus 100%), and there's also no denying that the electric utility net efficiency is many times higher than that achieved by an isolated internal combustion engine in each vehicle.

And don't take me for some left-wing tree-hugger, I drive the kids to school in a 6.4 liter Hemi, I'm as addicted to big displacement v8's and exhaust as the next guy. But c'mon, let's not pretend we don't know better.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,397  
Lets not pretend we are mining cobalt and lithium without child labor. Those children will never ride to school in a hemi powered hummer.
And lets not pretend any significant amount of the electric burned in these cars is truely green. And lets not pretend we know this phase is anything more than an emotional posture. Please be honest.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,398  
Lets not pretend we are mining cobalt and lithium without child labor. Those children will never ride to school in a hemi powered hummer.
And lets not pretend any significant amount of the electric burned in these cars is truely green. And lets not pretend we know this phase is anything more than an emotional posture. Please be honest.
:rolleyes: More than a slight diversion. Can you point to where I said any of these things?

When I argue with my wife over point "A", she likes to bring up unrelated things, too. Are you going to bring up my mother, in your next post?

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #2,399  
If you start at the point of the fuel - the gas in your tank or that nat gas/coal/etc running the power plant and end with how far it gets the car down the road, I don't think you will find it quite as dramatic a difference as you may think. We all know that a car with an IC gas engine is in the neighborhood of 30% efficient ( I think diesels are more like 35-40%?).

But there are many layers of losses in power generation and transmission. The initial conversion of fuel to electricity is pretty high but I don't know the number [Edit - I was curious so I looked this one up. Shockingly to me a gas turbine is only 20-35% efficient with a goal via some advanced research efforts of 60% targets being possible. This make the rest of what I wrote look even worse for the EV side] . I do know that transmission losses alone are upwards of 30% loss, and then you have further losses in transformers and the charging process in the car. I don't have final numbers and am not going to investigate to find them out, but in the end you might be slightly better than an IC engine or not. The problem is that every time you convert energy from one form to another there are losses, and there are a LOT of those conversion operations in electric generation, transmission, and charging. In an IC car you go from fuel to mechanical energy in pretty much one shot and your (substantial) losses are mostly frictional within the engine and drivetrain.

I have nothing against EVs, but do not want them forced on me by the overlords in DC. An EV might work for my needs most of the time but at this point I don't really want one. Let the market decide.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,400  
The reason is obvious. IF they sent the refund you would have cashed it. :p
But the funds from the check were “escheated“ to the state. The company had relinquished the money to the state.

Every state has an escheated funds division that holds money from checks, insurance policies, judgements, dormant bank accounts, etc that are waiting to be claimed by owners.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT