Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,431  
Probably not...but I can hear Andy's crackly alto voice "Wellll...I'll do my best!"
Devine...Is bcp actually Svengoolie?
Seeing it in person, my mouth was open...trying to figure it out! It's physically impossible but there it is. I remember they said it's been loaded with people no problem.
2022_07_27_17.50.25.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,432  
It's Bugs Bunny's Birthday (say it three times real fast)...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,433  
and this...I smart feller, you feller smart...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,434  
The only permanent display steam pile driver in the country, located at Rock River Threshing grounds, Milton WI. Used from 1907-1950s. The last job was to drive pilings for the St Lawrence seaway lock and dams. It was usually mounted on a barge. Back then, the leads to the driver were 130 ft. (39.6 m) tall and the driver handled a steam hammer of 66,000 lbs., which was the largest in the world at that time. It was used to place octagonal pilings of pre-stressed concrete 90 ft. long and 42 in. across. These pilings were driven three deep in some areas.
The boiler ran at 250 lbs of pressure. The boiler allowed steam to be used in a variety of ways. The steam engine drove the hammer for the piles, winched engines, ran air compressors for divers, air pumps and engines, plus operated decompression chambers. To operate this it took 20 tons of coal a day.
The boiler and turntable weigh about 140,000 lbs.

The current version has been downsized to an 80ft derick and 14,000lb hammer.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #1,436  
To me one of the most beautiful women was Bettie Page. It was difficult even finding a picture I could post that would be acceptable...but like so many, Marilyn Monroe, Jane Mansfield, etc. if you read about their (her) life, it wasn't that happy...and in real life what they portrayed for the camera wasn't at all who they were and unfortunately "used and abused". Very sad.
2022_07_28_19.27.34.jpg
2022_07_28_19.24.32.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,437  
Funny you should mention her…

About 25 years back I worked with a male trauma nurse and his hobby was old film and film stars back in the day.

He contacted Bettie Page and said he was a big fan and wanted and interview her and put together a calendar with her pictures.

She was quite gracious but didn’t understand why anyone would be interested as that was so long ago…

With her blessing he published one and gave me one of them…

I had not heard of her before and confess I just put it in a drawer… someday I will stumble across it again.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,439  
The f-82 twin mustang came about too late in ww2 to see combat. But was the first to down enemy aircraft in the Korean war. When flight testing first began, it would not fly or even get off the ground. Ends up the prop rotation needed to be reversed. Swapping components from one side to the other created the needed lift and solved the prop wash issues.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,440  
The Stonehenge reference is to what Sam Hill had made after WWI as a monument to those lost in the war. It is a very close replica of the original in England and is still in place on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge. It is said to be aligned to be the same as the original. Unlike the original, anyone can go here and walk the inner circle.
Sam Hill was an extraordinary character.
You can lean more about him here. I have visited both the Mary Hill Museum and the Stonehenge II. Since learning about him, I've even been able to find a "Good Roads" ceremonial Beer Tankard he use to gift out, during his fund raising in 1906. Its a rather extraordinary mug. :)
Sam Mug.jpg