Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,451  
When it was time for or last Golden, we took her to the vet and he confirmed that her time had come. He offered to do right then and we said no. We asked him to come to the ranch and euthanize her there in her favorite spot. He said OK and recommended we pay in advance as to not have to come to their office afterward.

The following day, after business hours, he came to the ranch. We had laid out Tess's favorite bed spread on the grass where she always laid and brought her out. He gave her an anesthetic and said I'll just wander around for a few minutes until it takes effect. We petted her and talked to her until she was asleep. He then came back and did the final act.

It turns out that that day was his wedding anniversary, but his caring for Tess was more important that day.

I don't think it could possibly have been better.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,452  
61096F1E-4930-478C-B4A0-9940E536C61F.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,455  
I wouldn't exactly describe isopods' function as heavy metal removal; they are great at cleaning up debris and detritus though, and heavy metal comes along for the ride. That makes them cheap markers for determining how contaminated soil is. As they don't crawl away to isopod cemeteries, other things end up eating them, moving the heavy metals along the food chain.

alligator-being-eaten-by-B-giganteus.-McClain-et.-al.-2019-1024x290.png

Yes, that is an alligator, and those are giant isopods. Full video here.

I would much rather find isopods under my rocks than scorpions, that is for sure.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,456  
FWIW....The number of blades etc. on turbines, waterwheels etc., etc...is always a prime number...I believe this has something to do with minimizing resonances...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,457  
FWIW....The number of blades etc. on turbines, waterwheels etc., etc...is always a prime number...I believe this has something to do with minimizing resonances...
Not always.

Attachments

• 6DFC90C7-4BDD-4056-9DCE-395A5945899D.jpeg
    6DFC90C7-4BDD-4056-9DCE-395A5945899D.jpeg
    852.1 KB · Views: 102
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #1,458  
What I’ve read is that many times they’ll make the number of blades in the rotor and the number of blades in the stator different prime numbers so that they can never overlap and that helps with vibration from pulses in the fluid. But they aren’t always made that way.