Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,411  
Some of your posts are good,
this sure as ---- is not one of them
But honestly there is a lot truth to it. NASA and Military have funded a ton of stuff in development that went on to commercial success. GPS and Tang are just a couple.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#8,412  
We visited Joshua Tree a few years ago. They had had about 2 or 3 inches of rain the week before, which was huge for them.
san diego 012.jpeg
san diego 009.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,414  
Love your picture of Barker Dam. The big horn sheep come to drink there. 2-3 inches would be a good year of rain for JT.
Early settlers built the dam. They used to run cattle in the park in the 30s and 40s long before it was a park.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,416  
Love your picture of Barker Dam. The big horn sheep come to drink there. 2-3 inches would be a good year of rain for JT.
Early settlers built the dam. They used to run cattle in the park in the 30s and 40s long before it was a park.
I now live north of JT but we have similar rainfall.

2020 - 5.1”, 2021 - 3.82”, 2022 - 6.27”, 2023 8.19” and 3.76” so far this year. We won’t have any more rain until the monsoons in August

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#8,417  
I forgot it was called Barker Dam. I remember about there being cattle and there was a bunch of tiny shrimp that come out when it has water. An actual picture if the dam. When we were there it was hot but not bad, maybe mid 90’s. We didn’t take enough water with us a ran out. It’s the dry heat.
san diego 010.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,418  
I now live north of JT but we have similar rainfall.

2020 - 5.1”, 2021 - 3.82”, 2022 - 6.27”, 2023 8.19” and 3.76” so far this year. We won’t have any more rain until the monsoons in August
Those are some good numbers. When I moved there in 1980 it rained every week that first winter. Then it fell into a dry spell and some yrs would net less than 1 inch total for yrs and nearly everything survived.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,419  
A friend had a 160 acre ranch in the middle of the park, he was the son of a wealthy movie producer. They had a heli pad on the ranch so they could whisk away to hollywood parties. lol
They had a shooting range with bullet catcher targets out back. It was a wild place, he had some wild parties too.
I worked on the ranch for about 2 yrs in the 80s. About the same time I had a Moto Guzzi to commute from town , good times.:D

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,420  
I used the train to get from Albany to NYC the first time I just went with coach, the rest I went with the sleeper room.. The first one wasn't real nice but was better then driving into NYC myself, once I went with the bedroom or sleepers it was very comfortable and relaxing.
So, here's the issue, I think. Our distances are long, compared to Europe, and we don't have enough interest or aversion to risk (litigation) to support conversion to 350 km/hr through our neighborhoods and cities. So, travel by rail is painfully slow and long, meaning extreme discomfort to do it in any less than a sleeper or private room.

But at that point, you're paying as much or more than the airfare, which would have you at your destination in one-tenth the time. No one wants to pay nearly as much or more, to take longer to reach their destination.