Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,072  
It’s my understanding there has never been a federal law requiring businesses to accept cash.

It’s on a state by state basis.

Unsure if a National park is regulated by Federal or state laws - but my strong guess is Federal.
Yes, that's right. Section 5103 and related statues.

Covered nicely in Must All U.S. Businesses Accept Legal Tender as Payment?

Basically, cash may be offered, but it is up to the seller to determine rules around the form of the settlement of the debt.

It would seem that the folks wanting to pay with cash at an entrance do not have a chance, but what do I know?

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,074  
National Parks being sued for refusing cash pay to enter at several parks.

Interesting because at Death Valley Monument the park service said it cost 40k to process 20k of cash paid entrance fees last year... No nearby bank, need to pay people that can count money/make change plus Armoured Car service to the the desert location.
"Good for any debt public or private"

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,076  
Is printed on the money.

"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

That is not a "state by state" regulation.
Yet there is this

Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?​

There is no federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve Banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues." This statute means that all U.S. money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor.

I think the relevant term is DEBT. It must be accepted as payment for a debt but anyone can refuse a SALE for cash since no DEBT exists at that point.
In my cast don't take cash I buy somewhere else out of principal. I prefer cash to card as payment to me since it means an extra ~3% of income.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,077  
I, and I'm sure others here, have had them give me too much money. I always give them the extra to make it correct. I'm sure some would just walk out.
It's been tough at times but I always do. When I was at the DMV registering my first motorcycle the clerk made a 10 dollar error in my favor. When I pointed it out to her she got flustered and couldn't fix it. Finally I returned her change, she gave me back my original money and we started over. Meanwhile I could hear the line behind me getting restless.
When I turned to leave I found that the woman behind me was a friend's mother, who also happened to work for my parents in the spring. She later told me that she had seen the entire thing and was wondering what I would so. 10 dollars was a lot more money in 1975...

Talk about positive reinforcement!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,078  
In my cast don't take cash I buy somewhere else out of principal. I prefer cash to card as payment to me since it means an extra ~3% of income.
I've actually taken to charging my customers an additional 3% surcharge to use a credit card. Mind you, the things I'm selling range $5k - $60k each and individual transactions can be for multiple units, so 3% can be an appreciable amount for me to lose to credit card processing.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,079  
First time i was refused cash payment was at a parking lot in Newport. I was dumbfounded. The attendant implied they weren't trusted with cash, we were going to dinner and I might get a bit cranky when hungry. I said you can't be trusted with cash but I should trust you with my credit card ? I said it's printed right on the bills for legal tender ! I was about to leave but wife stuck out her card and gave me the stop it scowl.
Next morning at the B&B we were talking to one of the other guests and they were saying they went to dinner the night before on a Uber , witch was just starting up, for what we paid to park !

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,080  
I've actually taken to charging my customers an additional 3% surcharge to use a credit card. Mind you, the things I'm selling range $5k - $60k each and individual transactions can be for multiple units, so 3% can be an appreciable amount for me to lose to credit card processing.
I'll second that.