teach me about basic tractor maintenance

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
i am expecting my new 3520 and loader in the morning. being my first tractor i am curious about maintenance. i know what the manual says but was looking for tips and suggestions. not only is this ny first diesel but my first turbo engine. also curious about maint. for the loader and bushhog. LX5 bushhog and 300CX loader. thanks.

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance
i am expecting my new 3520 and loader in the morning. being my first tractor i am curious about maintenance. i know what the manual says but was looking for tips and suggestions. not only is this ny first diesel but my first turbo engine. also curious about maint. for the loader and bushhog. LX5 bushhog and 300CX loader. thanks.

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance #3  
After around 50 hours, change your engine oil ( use 15W-40) and filter. After that, do this and grease non-loader fittings once a year or 100 hours. Grease all your loader fittings every 10-20 hours. Fuel filter and air filter change @ 400 hrs, maybe less for air filter in dusty conditions. Keep radiator screen clean (check daily along with engine oil level) and add diesel conditioner to all your fuel (takes care of water and injector clogging.) Change the coolant every 2 years. Rear end and hydraulic fluid can easily go 5 years under normal operating conditions. My tractors have always given me 7000
or more trouble-free hours following these simple procedures.

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance #4  
After around 50 hours, change your engine oil ( use 15W-40) and filter. After that, do this and grease non-loader fittings once a year or 100 hours. Grease all your loader fittings every 10-20 hours. Fuel filter and air filter change @ 400 hrs, maybe less for air filter in dusty conditions. Keep radiator screen clean (check daily along with engine oil level) and add diesel conditioner to all your fuel (takes care of water and injector clogging.) Change the coolant every 2 years. Rear end and hydraulic fluid can easily go 5 years under normal operating conditions. My tractors have always given me 7000
or more trouble-free hours following these simple procedures.

i didnt know about the diesel conditioner. is it necessary for tractors in the south(warm weather)?

i didnt know about the diesel conditioner. is it necessary for tractors in the south(warm weather)?

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance #7  
For a turbo engine, I'd strongly recommend going to synthetic oil. It'll take the heat of the turbo a lot better.

The manual for my 4010 says 5w-30. This is what I use. Plan to change it every 100 hours. (Did at 13 and 113.) If your manual, for some reason, recommends 40w. I'd use the lightest front end weight you can get, 0w or 5w-40. It'll ALWAYS be heavier at startup, even 0w and even on the hottest afternoon in the middle of the summer. A lighter front end weight oil will get circulating A LOT quicker and protect your valve gear at start when it gets the most wear.

Ralph

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance #8  
For a turbo engine, I'd strongly recommend going to synthetic oil. It'll take the heat of the turbo a lot better.

The manual for my 4010 says 5w-30. This is what I use. Plan to change it every 100 hours. (Did at 13 and 113.) If your manual, for some reason, recommends 40w. I'd use the lightest front end weight you can get, 0w or 5w-40. It'll ALWAYS be heavier at startup, even 0w and even on the hottest afternoon in the middle of the summer. A lighter front end weight oil will get circulating A LOT quicker and protect your valve gear at start when it gets the most wear.

Ralph

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance #9  
You may not have to worry about fuel gelling in extreme cold, but niether do folks up north unless they use a summer blend. You do however have to worry about injectors clogging and water in the fuel and these are the problems that conditioner eliminates north or south. It is relatively inexpensive and cheap insurance against costly maintenance down the road.

/ teach me about basic tractor maintenance #10  
You may not have to worry about fuel gelling in extreme cold, but niether do folks up north unless they use a summer blend. You do however have to worry about injectors clogging and water in the fuel and these are the problems that conditioner eliminates north or south. It is relatively inexpensive and cheap insurance against costly maintenance down the road.