TC29 won't start

/ TC29 won't start #1  

Freemanimal

Tractor
New Holland TC29
So my tractor has been doing well and I had just finished mowing and everything was working well. I turned it off while I did some other things. When I came back to it to start it and put it in the barn, I turned the key part way, the lights lit up but when I turned to start it, I heard one loud click and all the lights turned off...nothing lit up at all and no start. I have had this happen before and thought it was the battery cable connections so I cleaned everything up, applied the dielectric grease, checked the battery voltage (12.8 across the terminals) and tried again. This time no click, no instrument lights, nothing at all. I would think with a starter/solenoid problem that I would still have dashboard lights or if it was the neutral safety switch the same thing. It makes me feel that this is either the ignition switch, the fuses, or some other relay between the ignition and the battery. I am going to check the fuses on the right firewall as soon as I can but if that is not it then I don't know what to do. I removed the battery negative ground and cleaned it also but it made no difference. I am not much of a mechanic just to warn you so stuff like hot wiring or jumping the starter from the battery might need some details about how to do it
Thanks in advance.
Rob

/ TC29 won't start #2  
Get a schematic of the tractor online and make sure you check every fuse, some fuses are harder to find.

Most tractors have a main fuse somewhere around the starter. Your schematic will tell you exactly where to find it.

Also just check for loose or bare wiring if you were mowing all day you could have had a wire rubbing against something that caused a bare wire.

When you went to start it you had dead short that might have blown a fuse. So you could have a blown fuse that was caused by a bare wire and you're going to need to find both.

/ TC29 won't start #3  
Sure sounds like a blown fuse. You can try to replace the fuse to see if it will start so that you can get it in the barn or somewhere to work on.

Fuses just don't blow because they are old and worn out, there was something drawing more current than that circuit was designed for so the fuse blowing protected it. You will have to investigate further why it blew.

Are you the original owner?

Do you have a manual (electrical schematic)?

How many hours on the tractor?

Have there been any modification to the electrical system?

/ TC29 won't start #4  
I don't see it in the parts book or recall, but it may have a fusible link (a wire that is designed to melt before the main harness does when the line is shorted) coming off of the starter on the top big lug where the +cable bolts on. If it is melted, that is the problem, but generally they are last line and don't 'pop'.
It may be too new for that.

/ TC29 won't start #5  
So my tractor has been doing well and I had just finished mowing and everything was working well. I turned it off while I did some other things. When I came back to it to start it and put it in the barn, I turned the key part way, the lights lit up but when I turned to start it, I heard one loud click and all the lights turned off...nothing lit up at all and no start. I have had this happen before and thought it was the battery cable connections so I cleaned everything up, applied the dielectric grease, checked the battery voltage (12.8 across the terminals) and tried again. This time no click, no instrument lights, nothing at all. I would think with a starter/solenoid problem that I would still have dashboard lights or if it was the neutral safety switch the same thing. It makes me feel that this is either the ignition switch, the fuses, or some other relay between the ignition and the battery. I am going to check the fuses on the right firewall as soon as I can but if that is not it then I don't know what to do. I removed the battery negative ground and cleaned it also but it made no difference. I am not much of a mechanic just to warn you so stuff like hot wiring or jumping the starter from the battery might need some details about how to do it
Thanks in advance.
Rob
You should have a 30 amp fuse in the wiring harness next to the starter. I had it blow once many years ago, never happened again. Rick

/ TC29 won't start
Get a schematic of the tractor online and make sure you check every fuse, some fuses are harder to find.

Most tractors have a main fuse somewhere around the starter. Your schematic will tell you exactly where to find it.

Also just check for loose or bare wiring if you were mowing all day you could have had a wire rubbing against something that caused a bare wire.

When you went to start it you had dead short that might have blown a fuse. So you could have a blown fuse that was caused by a bare wire and you're going to need to find both.
I will look for a schematic and try to understand it. I am still not sure what would make the big click noise

/ TC29 won't start #7  
Schematics, location of 30amp fuse:

Attachments

• 25 Series Electrical Schematic.pdf
    897.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 25 Series Start Circuit.pdf
    485.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Main Fuse Location.pdf
    463.8 KB · Views: 54
   / TC29 won't start
You should have a 30 amp fuse in the wiring harness next to the starter. I had it blow once many years ago, never happened again. Rick

/ TC29 won't start
rjok A big thanks! That was exactly it! Once I saw that the harness continued past the fuse up to the panel it all made sense. Replaced the fuse and it started right up. Hopefully it won't happen again but I realize there is probably an underlying cause. Thanks everyone!
Rob