Mowing TC-30 belly mover

/ TC-30 belly mover #11  
Actually it's the tractor Im wondering if it's too big and heavy for this use. Field mowing I don't think I'd care if it rutted the ground but the 5 acres I'm talking about is presently groomed and I'd like to keep it that way without killing myself trying. The sellers had a service come in to take care of things on the property and my goal in the long run is to keep it at this level then reclaim even more as I get use to the amount of work involved.
I've never cared to pay someone to do something I can do myself.... :) Besides, it can be a great excuse to buy a new toy, tool I mean.

What kind of tires are on your tractor? If R-4 Industrial or R-3 turfs, you should have no problems as long as you mow when it's dry.
I've finished mowed a yard for 10 years using tractors using both R-4's and R-3's. The weight will leave impressions in the grass, but they're gone in a day or so. Best not to use 4WD if possible, but if you do, try not to make abrupt turns.
What you can try is to run the tractor (before you buy a mower) on the area you expect to mow and see how it does.

/ TC-30 belly mover
I'll try that as soon as I get it back to the shop. The ground will be wet so I'll try it in a area around the shop that I've torn up already.
I have R-4's though. I have thought of turf tires to save my customers yards some, but decided against it since the loaded cement trucks tend to do far worse that the tc-30 does. Now I just bring in top soil after a job and replant the damaged areas of the yards.
I do have some tight areas to work around but for the most part level and straight. Just the drainage ditch, around the septic system and I'm not sure how stable the ground is yet next to the lake there. Spring is coming soon enough but it still gives me the time to work it through using your experiences up here as a guide.
Thanks.

/ TC-30 belly mover #13  
Just the drainage ditch, around the septic system and I'm not sure how stable the ground is yet next to the lake there.

Use utmost caution when working in those areas, especially if you have to mow across even a minor slope.

/ TC-30 belly mover
The drainage ditch is the one I'm worried about, they used a walk behind here and I don't think I can drive in straight on it. Going the length may be the easiest but then I'm at a steep angle side to side. I've been in worse but I've been able to use the backhoe hoe with a big rock low to the ground to help balance things out. From what I've read, backhoe has to be of with a belly and the also with a rear mount for the obvious reasons there. I'm new to septics and I just keep hearing "don't drive over the drainage field". Around here though, most are hooked to city sewer so I don't know if any of them have a clue....

/ TC-30 belly mover #15  
How hard is it to remove the backhoe. If you use the hoe alot and have to keep switching back and forth I might consider a dedicated mower (ztr). Take the hoe off and see if you leave any tracks. A RFM will not add any weifgt to the tractor. It has it's own whees and a floating hitch. Her is a link to what we are talking about King Kutter Tractor Finishing Mower
Bill

/ TC-30 belly mover
I had only seen one or two wheeled ones. This should do the trick for most of it.
Believe it or not, I've never taken the hoe off. It's pretty easy to get off though, I'd guess under ten minutes but maybe longer to put it back on with the line up. I do use it a lot though. I'm planning on taking the FEL and BH off here soon since I need to clean the thing up from the last job, dried mud is into everything! I'll find out if I'm right then.
So, now a stupid question? Will the tractor handle differently with this type of mower on it?
Any concern there? I'm used to having the machine in tricky spots but tend to get cocky after a little while with it :)

/ TC-30 belly mover #17  
I had only seen one or two wheeled ones. This should do the trick for most of it.

Most RFM's I've seen had 4 wheels (at each corner). There were some older models (Bush Hog brand, I think) that had only two wheels.
I've never seen a RFM with one wheel...are you thinking of a rotary cutter?

Any concern there? I'm used to having the machine in tricky spots but tend to get cocky after a little while with it :)

The mowers (midmount or rear) will have little or no effect on the handling of the tractor. The midmount may actually improve handling (if it's the suspended type) by lowering the tractor's center of gravity.
The tractor will handle better without that backhoe, regardless.
However, "cocky" is, IMHO, something you don't want to be when operating any equipment.

/ TC-30 belly mover
Cocky / confident :) I work with this little guy with zero clearance on a lot of homes. So far no damage. Figure if your out in the open on the flat I may be tempted to "speed things up".
I figured it should handle much better with the FEL and BH off. Should weigh a bit less too.
I'm used to keeping a eye out on the BH not hitting things in close quarters so I'm assuming the FM will be the same but without the height restrictions.
The one wheeled ones I saw... looked them up and they are brush hogs. Those don't sound like they do much more than a ruff cut. Don't know for sure though, guessing.

/ TC-30 belly mover #20  
The one wheeled ones I saw... looked them up and they are brush hogs. Those don't sound like they do much more than a ruff cut. Don't know for sure though, guessing.

Yep, they're for field mowing and brush cutting. Not so good on a finished lawn...