Mowing TC-30 belly mover

/ TC-30 belly mover #1  

Elviscaretaker

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30/ Same Duetz Fahr 5110
Any thoughts about using a TC 30 for mowing using a belly mower?
About 5 acres of grass with hills and such, some with pretty steep angles.
What I'm wondering, is this too heavy for a nice cut without "rutting" the yard or should I just find a good riding mower for this job?
I have the tractor, just bought the property and the thought of trying this with my current mower (21" walk behind) is not a very pleasant thought! Would take me a week and I'd like to do this painlessly and in under a day but at the same time, want the yard to look good etc.
Thoughts?
If not a belly mower then any ideas on a rider that could handle this? Most seem to be rated at 1-2 acres...
Thanks!

/ TC-30 belly mover #2  
I use a 1030 with a 6ft finishing rear mower for my lawn and a TC55DA with a 8ft rear finishing for my fields. You couldn't tell that I mowed with a tractor vs a lawn mower. I don't really like big heavy belly mowers... but that is preference.

/ TC-30 belly mover #3  
I also use a 6 ft finish mower on the 3 point in the open areas but prefer a riding mower in the more confined areas around the house. A riding mower works better around trees, bushes etc.

/ TC-30 belly mover #4  
I use a 6' finish mower on the tph for every thing except right arround the house. I made sure the finish mower and the riding mower are set at the same hieght. what tires do you have and are they loaded.
Bill

/ TC-30 belly mover
By finish mower do you mean a reel mower? 3point? Going a 3 point is cheaper around here for sure. I have a drainage ditch in front of the place that is about 200 yards long that
will be the worst of it as far as angles go.
My tires ar R-4? and not filled. I use my backhoe for balance when needed. Main use of the tractor is work, digging and leveling. I'd like to get more use out of it, but, I don't want the yard all rutted either.

/ TC-30 belly mover
OK, you guys did say 3 pt :). Need to put those glasses on!

/ TC-30 belly mover #7  
The only reason I have ever thought a rear mower would be considered was that putting a mid mower would be more expensive - what don't you like about the mid mower that makes the rear mower your preference? I have read about people using them to get under shrubs easier, I get that, but I had a front mower and didn't like it much. It was very heavy and would not always go where I wanted it as easily as a mid mower. Obviously this is a presence thing, just never heard someone call a mmm big and heavy and wondered what your reasoning is.

/ TC-30 belly mover #8  
5 acres mowing with a TC-30 would be a good fit.
As far as a midmount mower...does your tractor have a mid-PTO? If not, a midmount is a moot point. They're also rather expensive.
Your TC-30 can handle a 60" or 72" rear finishing mower with no problem. That's what I suggest you purchase...(you determine the width based upon how much money you want to spend...RFM's aren't cheap either...just cheaper then a mid mount mower).

/ TC-30 belly mover
Actually it's the tractor Im wondering if it's too big and heavy for this use. Field mowing I don't think I'd care if it rutted the ground but the 5 acres I'm talking about is presently groomed and I'd like to keep it that way without killing myself trying. The sellers had a service come in to take care of things on the property and my goal in the long run is to keep it at this level then reclaim even more as I get use to the amount of work involved.
I've never cared to pay someone to do something I can do myself.... :) Besides, it can be a great excuse to buy a new toy, tool I mean.

/ TC-30 belly mover
Yup, mid mount pto is present. Only mowers I'd say I'm knowledgeable about are the walk behinds. Know nothing of the others, yet.