Tax Question

/ Tax Question
Hence my confusion.

A contractor renting an orchard and harvesting apples is paying the property owner....to pull stumps and clean up their own property?
I'm simply paid per ton of apples that he delivers to the destination, Manzana Products.

Not showing the 1099 on the 1040 would cause an automatic deficiency letter to me at minimum, since IRS received his copy of it and their computers match recipient to sender. Or worse, tax evasion charges and fines. I can't ignore it.

Fishheadbob's tax reporting situation is closest to what I have here - except his ownership structure is more complex and he's profitable.

/ Tax Question #33  
So if the you or the IRS declares it a hobby that looses money......what to do with the 1099?

Kinda a catch 22. You get a 1099 and they want you to claim income....yet show that it looses money. Seems they only want you to claim it if it's profitable so they can cash in and not the other way around.

So what happens if next year you declare it a hobby and DON'T claim the 1099. I think that would get you audited quicker than showing a loss
Whether or not it is a hobby, you have to claim the income. It's in a different form. If it's a hobby, it's very difficult to deduct expenses against the income.

/ Tax Question #34  
Whether or not it is a hobby, you have to claim the income. It's in a different form. If it's a hobby, it's very difficult to deduct expenses against the income.
That kinda seems like a load of crap.

IRS: Your business is no longer profitable.....so please stop taking all the deductions for your hobby....but we still want to tax you on the income. That way, not only do you loose money all year....then you loose even more money when you pay us.

Perhaps just take enough deductions to offset the 1099 income, and only show ~$10-$20 profit each year. That wont break the bank in taxes with just a few dollars owed, yet keeps the IRS off you back with regards to the 1099 income

/ Tax Question #35  
I've had modest net income from my apple orchard, until recently when insurance cost tripled along with two years of bad weather and low production.

My role in the orchard is to backhoe out the stumps of trees that fell, to prepare for replacements. Then water and maintain new trees until they become productive at about the fifth year. Then responsibility shifts to the contractor who does 90% of the work here - prune, till, spray, harvest, market. Each year he provides me check and a 1099. So I'm visible to IRS.

This was fine so long as I ended the year with net income. Now, this is the second year with a net loss after insurance, taxes, minimal cost for diesel and welding supplies, etc. Building and tractors were fully depreciated long ago so that isn't an issue.

How long can I file a net loss that reduces overall family taxable income? Sooner or later I'll hit some big expense - broken tractor, re-roof the equipment barn, whatever. Am I at risk of being declared a non-deductible hobby? Do some farms operate at a net loss for years and years?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
As long as you want, so long as you can substantiate it. Been doing it here on working farm fir at least 10 years now. I have no issue writing it off as a net loss either. You do need a good accountant however.

/ Tax Question #36  
That kinda seems like a load of crap.

IRS: Your business is no longer profitable.....so please stop taking all the deductions for your hobby....but we still want to tax you on the income. That way, not only do you loose money all year....then you loose even more money when you pay us.

Perhaps just take enough deductions to offset the 1099 income, and only show ~$10-$20 profit each year. That wont break the bank in taxes with just a few dollars owed, yet keeps the IRS off you back with regards to the 1099 income
It is a load of crap, IMO. Hobby income isn't subject to SE taxes, but adding it to your income adds up, especially if you're working a W2 job as well.

There isn't a hard and fast set of rules about it, I think it's all about intention. What they try to stop, IMO, is someone using what is really a hobby to deduct a massive about of hobby expenses and using a tiny bit of revenue to justify it.

I sell some woodworking items here and there, just small things. It's easier to just claim the hobby income at sale than to deal with it all. While I've had thoughts of trying to make it a side business, it's just a hobby at this point.

/ Tax Question #37  
It is a load of crap, IMO. Hobby income isn't subject to SE taxes, but adding it to your income adds up, especially if you're working a W2 job as well.

There isn't a hard and fast set of rules about it, I think it's all about intention. What they try to stop, IMO, is someone using what is really a hobby to deduct a massive about of hobby expenses and using a tiny bit of revenue to justify it.

I sell some woodworking items here and there, just small things. It's easier to just claim the hobby income at sale than to deal with it all. While I've had thoughts of trying to make it a side business, it's just a hobby at this point.
Then hobby income shouldn't be taxed....plain and simple.

If it's such a small amount in relation to the deductions.....

Irs wants their cake and eat it too. Shouldn't work that way.

If I spend $10000 on what they deem a hobby....and sell a few hundred bucks of stuff to continue supporting my hobby.....I ain't paying taxes on it. It's like they wanna pick and choose what they apply deductions to or what income to tax. If you wanna be that pick and tax someone's minor hobby income and force them to claim it.....then deal with the consequences of them showing the loss.

I'll play their game and write off all my tax preparer will allow. Cell phone for business, home office, hobby shop, etc etc

/ Tax Question #38  
Then hobby income shouldn't be taxed....plain and simple.

Agreed. It would be easy to stick a dollar limit on it. Make it something like under $7500 and it's an untaxed hobby. Above that and it's a business with all of the normal deductions.

But there is zero interest in making the tax code simpler.

/ Tax Question #39  
It's been more than 6 months (Oct 23) and no sign of resolution...

Every letter that arrives I answer but the collection letters just escalate.

My first reply I sent Certified Return receipt is from my CPA as CPA screwed up and I caught it that night but CPA had already e-filed… so the next day CPA filed amended return showing my payment.

Since then by me more letters sent, phone calls made, info faxed as requested plus front and back of cancelled checks with K1 sent priority mail this week, etc...

I've never had any issues before and do everything by the book.

If and when resolved does the tax office send a letter that all is good?

I'm half expecting money from my bank or paycheck to be taken based on the 17k I am claimed to owe... sad but it seems a in person appointment isn't available unless taxpayer called in.

Meanwhile I keep checking my account before I write a check.

Last edited:
   / Tax Question #40  
It's been more than 6 months (Oct 23) and no sign of resolution...

Every letter that arrives I answer but the collection letters just escalate.

My first reply I sent Certified Return receipt is from my CPA as CPA screwed up and I caught it that night but CPA had already e-filed… so the next day CPA filed amended return showing my payment.

Since then by me more letters sent, phone calls made, info faxed as requested plus front and back of cancelled checks with K1 sent priority mail this week, etc...

I've never had any issues before and do everything by the book.

If and when resolved does the tax office send a letter that all is good?

I'm half expecting money from my bank or paycheck to be taken based on the 17k I am claimed to owe... sad but it seems a in person appointment isn't available unless taxpayer called in.

Meanwhile I keep checking my account before I write a check.
I had a similar situation this year as well. I failed to claim ~$1500 of tax I had paid on some income. I had filed electronically so there was no retrieval. Immediately I filed an Amended Return. IRS site stated that it would be up to 20 WEEKS before it would be reviewed. :-(