Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #121  
And I bet that MS261-CM is $40 more than it was before Jan. 1, 2024.
Probably. One of the main reasons I like Echo's. They actually have carbs and adjustments. Kind of like the new tractors in a way and not a good way either. Read that the American Icon, Oreo's have went left as well. Guess they get to find out like Budwieser that left don't work with consumers today.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #123  
Time marches on. I was in my Stihl dealer shop today for filters and they don't have a new MS261 like mine, only the MS261 C-M which has a microprocessor controlled fuel system. It has no carb adjustments. I looked at the Stihl website and the regular MS261 is now shown as "Not Available".
i have the pre mtronic version of the 261, had it for about 8 years, its a fine saw, i wouldnt be detered getting an mtronic, if you ever had any real issues ( unlikely) just swap the carby back out, all the rest of the saw in the same,

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #124  
I’m not aware of 1 box store in PA/DE/NJ/MD that sells Stihl.
That Rural King Store might be a “chain”, but if their focus is farm & ranch supplies, that passes the smell test for me as a legit Stihl dealer, especially if they repair them and offer parts.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #125  
I’m not aware of 1 box store in PA/DE/NJ/MD that sells Stihl.
That Rural King Store might be a “chain”, but if their focus is farm & ranch supplies, that passes the smell test for me as a legit Stihl dealer, especially if they repair them and offer parts.
I'm not sure where the line is on defining a "box store", but as noted, our local Ace is one of the (if not the) biggest Stihl retailers in our area. They need at least one Stihl-certified repair tech on staff, although I think our local Ace has at least a few.

I actually bought my Stihl Kombi stuff at Ace, as well as my handheld blowers (BG-86's), but I choose a local saw shop for my saw stuff.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #126  
Our local ace hardware stores have stihl dealers too. Worthless, one local. From another junk chainsaw thread here last year =
Local guys saw he said stihl dealer been trying to fix for 2 years. Told him get it back I'd like to check it out. After fixing another saw for him.

Echo 3000 that has been at the local stihl dealer up north of me. I went into this same dealer once years back and never went back. I had seen enough just checking on parts for saws. 🤦

This is that guys echo TH that he said they have had 2 years throwing parts at it. Tag shows 3 years.

Took me all of 5 seconds to tell him whats wrong. Low psi scored I bet right while still there. I just SMH.

They put new carb, new coil, new flywheel etc etc. Think you get the point. = worthless

e3000yy.jpg

Last edited:
   / Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #127  
Stihl does seem to have a restrictive dealer policy. My dealer is a very large outdoor equipment store that does a lot of business with local lawn care guys. My John Deere dealer is also a Stihl dealer. After that you have to travel some distance. According to the dealer map there is an Ace store about 30 miles away that is a dealer.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #128  
Stihl dealers are like drug stores here. One on almost every corner. 5-6 off top of my head.

This saw come to me from a stihl dealer that also sold kubota. Yes one down the road from him that sells JD too. 2 on same road.

They couldnt tune the saw right. Needed to remove L side epa stop to get right.
But before I touched the saw I told them take it back and have them install the air filter they left off.
Told them have them check saw to see if hurt intake side of piston after what they did to them.

s211af.jpg

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #129  
My opinion is, just like everything else, is that it changes from town to town.
But as far as I know, Stihl is the only major brand left that is mostly sold by licensed and authorized dealers.
Echo & Husky are sold anywhere & everywhere. I know there’s still some other smaller brands, I’m talking readily available.
That doesn’t make Stihl perfect, it just means there are more dealership regulations on where their saws are sold. I think it’s a good thing.
My Stihl dealer has been pretty good over the years. Never waited more than a week for a repair. And few repairs have been needed.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #130  
I have to say I've NEVER taken any of my saws back for repairs but then I'm capable of fixing any issue that may arise.

it's a know issue that Echo has fine debris issues with their OEM flocked air filters but it's an easily fixable issue with either the addition of 2 common sized 'O' rings or complete removal of the OEM air filter and the install of the 'Red Beard' velocity stack and oiled foam air filter (which is what I did). The cheap way around the issue is of course, the addition of 2 'O' rings, one on the intake stud that secures the air filter and one over the intake snout. That eliminates the fine dust issue with the stock, flocked air filter entirely. In my case, I went with the Red Beard aftermarket setup because I've always like oiled foam air filters, just a personal preference but both fix the issue.

The other underlying issue is Echo's penchant for additional baffle plates in the exhaust. Like Stihl, they like to add additional baffle plates to curb the ignition noise so I removed the last baffle plate entirely and opened up the muffler a bit as well and that really woke up the 590. Sure it's a bit louder but I do own it so that was my choice entirely. I tend to wear ear protection when running any saw, anyway, along with proper PPE.