Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
With ICE vehicles on their way out for todays sin of consuming fossil fuels, the Tahoe does offer a nice alternative.
Car & Driver reviews show 27MPG on sustained 75MPH trip. Diesel upgrade price not as dramatic as thought. Pretty impressive for a large SUV. They claim payoff at 80K. Less if you drive more highway miles
Article about 2 years old, but still not bad.

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #2  
I might be VERY interested in the diesel powerd model! Thanks for the heads up!

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #3  
Thank you, interesting article since there are very few Diesel SUV's available for those of us who may want one.

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #4  
I wanted the diesel when I bought my suburban about 6 months ago, but they are pretty hard to find. Like anything now, if you want anything specific, it's going to be a fairly long wait. I wanted the Diesel, but I didn't want rear entertainment, sunroof, and the other costly additions they seem to always add to the ones they order. Even ones that showed in transit were already sold regardless of configuration.

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #5  
With ICE vehicles on their way out for todays sin of consuming fossil fuels, the Tahoe does offer a nice alternative.
Car & Driver reviews show 27MPG on sustained 75MPH trip. Diesel upgrade price not as dramatic as thought. Pretty impressive for a large SUV. They claim payoff at 80K. Less if you drive more highway miles
Article about 2 years old, but still not bad.

I get 23mpg at 70mph in my 2018 F250 diesel no tow.

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #6  
I get 23mpg at 70mph in my 2018 F250 diesel no tow.
No one that I know who's honest about their mpg gets 20 plus in that truck. I get about 16-17 mpg hwy in my Ram 3500 dually and about 14-15 overall. Buddy of mine always claimed 24 to 25 mile per gallon in his f250 diesel. Asked a coworker who travels with him about it and he just laughed and said that truck never skipped a gas station.

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #7  
No one that I know who's honest about their mpg gets 20 plus in that truck. I get about 16-17 mpg hwy in my Ram 3500 dually and about 14-15 overall. Buddy of mine always claimed 24 to 25 mile per gallon in his f250 diesel. Asked a coworker who travels with him about it and he just laughed and said that truck never skipped a gas station.
I reset it every time I fill up and watch it religiously. It’s honest. Maybe your friends dog it too much! I drive 2 hours up into the mountains almost all highway 55-70mph (5500-8600 ft elevation gain total) then back down. That is 23 mpg. I do it every week.

Last edited:
   / Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #8  
I have a 2012 diesel F250 with a high number rear end. It came with highway tread tires, when I changed them to all terrain tires the mileage dropped about 2 mpg. My normal driving is around town and short trips between towns - I'm getting 18 mpg. I took a 4 hour trip on the interstate and was very careful to see what the best mileage I could get. It was just under 20 mpg. So, if someone has their truck rigged properly, yes, I believe they can get 23 mpg.

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy
The Tahoe was able to attain that fuel mileage (27MPG) at 75MPH. A diesel pickup would be up pretty good in the RPM band at 75MPH. Thats when you chew up the fuel.
27MPG at 60MPH would be impressive. At 75MPH? thats pretty amazing.

/ Tahoe diesel claims 80k payoff in diesel fuel economy #10  
So, if someone has their truck rigged properly, yes, I believe they can get 23 mpg.
I twice tested my 6.6 Duramax pickup on the highway cruising around 55-60mph. It averaged over 20mpg, usually about 21.

All in all, driving (much) faster, and typically towing a dump trailer, my truck has averaged 15.2.