T224/RK24H Steering Issues

/ T224/RK24H Steering Issues #1  

Saboty

Tractor
RK 24H
Hi All,

I have a Rural King RK24H purchased in spring 2020, 300 hours on it. A while back my steering started to be rather unresponsive. When trying to turn left I have to turn the steering wheel two or more times just to get the wheels to start to move and need to almost continuously keep turning the steering wheel to keep it turning left (or it just straightens back out). It's fairly normal when I try to turn to the right (but it does seem like I have to turn the steering more than usual, i.e. when it was new).

Checked all the connections and all seem good, no damaged or loose connections, etc. Not low on hydraulic fluid either and see no signs of leaking. Been researching for days now and the only thing I can come up with is maybe the steering cylinder is bad.

RK Parts manual says the steering cylinder part number is 1110455100. Etched on the cylinder DNC191024. I can only find one site that has this part (asking close to $900). Not only can't I afford that much, I'm not certain it will even fix the steering issue.

Is there a less expensive option? A seal/rebuild kit? Another less expensive cylinder that fits? I've searched and searched but can't find anything that I'm sure is the same part much less matches either of the numbers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Updated to say the TYM 254 as well as the TYM 224 look to be using the same parts according to the parts catalogs for all three.

ST

Last edited:
   / T224/RK24H Steering Issues
Ok, another update after reading through more of these forums and trying some of the suggestions here. I no longer think it's an issue with the steering cylinder.

I pulled it off and did some troubleshooting. When I turn the steering wheel to the right I get a good amount of hydraulic fluid push out of the hose. When I turn it to the left, only a little comes out. I don't have a way to test pressure but the difference is significant.

Does this mean the Steering control unit is bad? I pulled off the steering wheel and panels to get a look at it and the connections. There does not appear to be a leak there and the connections are not loose.

Second edit:

I tested this all again, but it appeared the same fluid was pushed out. Maybe the first time I didn't turn the wheel the same amount or maybe just my imagination. In any event, I decided to put everything back together and see what happened if I reversed the hoses leading to the steering cylinder. It did exactly the same thing. It would not turn left (turning the wheel right this time) same as before.

This has to mean it's not the SCU and it has to be the Steering cylinder correct?

I'm right back to my original post/issue and see no other option at this point unless someone can point me to a rebuild kit for this: steering cylinder.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: