synthetics & oil filter longevity

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #11  
Mercedes Benz is slowly switching everything over to fleece type oil filters, the reason I am told is because with the extended intervals these days in between oil changes the fleece holds up much better. Google fleece oil filters and you will see.

As a side note I wouldn't put a Wix, Napa filter on anything these dfays.

Regards, Fred

IMGP0010_zps54958f99.jpg

IMGP0013_zpsbff74d75.jpg

So, based on your inspection of the oil filters in your photos, what are your conclusions? From what I see, the Mann has the most media. Can't tell from the photos about the quality of the bypass, anti drainback, canister or crimp. Mann filters are reputed to be highy quality. I would never us a Fram oil filter on anything I own...air filter? Fram would be OK.

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #12  
My go-to auto parts supply store is rockauto.com. For my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 truck, the Wix Oil Filter is $3.70, the XP (synthetic, wire mesh-backed media) is $7.37, about double the price.

For my needs, the XP is overkill, even though I use synthetic engine oil. I change 3 times a year: spring, summer, fall, this works out almost per the recommended oil change intervals (oil change idiot light), @ 5,500-6,000 miles per oil change interval.

Ain't no cellulose filtration media going to leak in that time frame. Unless it's been sitting on a shelf for 2 decades.

Why do I use synthetic oil? Easier cold starts/less wear, less hot weather varnishing & boil off. Simple.

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #13  
My go-to auto parts supply store is rockauto.com. For my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 truck, the Wix Oil Filter is $3.70, the XP (synthetic, wire mesh-backed media) is $7.37, about double the price.

For my needs, the XP is overkill, even though I use synthetic engine oil. I change 3 times a year: spring, summer, fall, this works out almost per the recommended oil change intervals (oil change idiot light), @ 5,500-6,000 miles per oil change interval.

Ain't no cellulose filtration media going to leak in that time frame. Unless it's been sitting on a shelf for 2 decades.

Why do I use synthetic oil? Easier cold starts/less wear, less hot weather varnishing & boil off. Simple.

Your OCIs are way too short. I would go 10,000 mile OCIs using synthetic unless you're pulling a trailer and are near the GCVW rating. But, you are not alone...most of us change our engine oil waaaaaay too soon.

My BMW motorcycle (air cooled, 1130 CCs) gets an 12-14 month oil change regardless of miles...using Mobil1 15w-50 and a Purolator filter. The Ford Windstar goes 15K OCIs with Ford FL400 filter. The Taurus? Can't remember the last time I changed engine oil...the riding mower? Mobil1 5w-30 every two years with Purolator filter. The CAT powered motorhome? Let's see, Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 two years ago, Cat brand filter.

BTW, I was born in MN...love it there.

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #14  
Hi def,

Yeah, I'm sure my OCI's are too short. In fact, I know that because back when I was Mobil Oil Corp. Industrial Lubricants Engineer, I had access to free used oil analysis. So I ran an experiment on my vehicle and sampled every couple thousand miles. Turned out the limiting oil change mileage was from dirt ingestion through/past the air filter at about 14,000 miles. Not surprising.

Anyway, I am not as **** or young as I used to be, so I just change 3 times a year on a routine cycle & don't worry about it.

At least I don't do the old 3,000 mile OCI like a lot of old-timers still 'believe' in! That is now a proven waste of resources and money.

P.S. - the woods & mountains of AL don't sound bad a'tall after the winter we've had!

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #15  
I change the oil in my tractor once a year since it only gets around 60 hours or so...
My car and truck gets changed at the recommended intervals which is currently 5K for the truck and my 98 Contour...
My 01 Buick has the GM oil life monitor and with my current driving conditions it always calls for a change in the 6K range...
Engines run much cleaner than years ago...
Habits are hard to change but extended intervals are now the norm...
I've never used synthetics...
Do not see the need...
Filters are subjective but I have had excellent service from Napa Gold and Wix...
I think that Wix and Fram make quite a few of the OEM filters to OEM specs...
Sorta like batteries...
There are differences in the quality though...
The low priced STP filter from Wal Mart is not gonna be as good of a filter as a Napa gold thus the cost difference...
With that said, I don't know anyone that has had a catastrophic engine failure from a cheapie filter...