synthetics & oil filter longevity

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
i've got lots of small engines, some regularly used, others such as my generator go long periods unused. I use Napa Gold oil filters just to keep it all simple. I notice they have a "platinum" version that they recommend to be used w/equipment when using synthetics & the change interval is long...they claim the paper element of std. filters can break down over time......my question is whether std quality paper filter elements break down/fall apart over time...is this "platinum" version is really worth the extra expense? over the std versions in equipment that is used little over long periods of time. thx in advance bb

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #2  
I see that quite a few people have read your question but have not answered. Perhaps nobody knows.
I have never heard of an oil filter breaking down and coming apart.

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #3  
You can always buy better but where does it end?

Chris

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #4  
Well depends on what you call a long time I change all oil filters at least once a year no matter how much I run a piece of equipment. run it get it HOT and change it helps keep the water out. Always felt a few bucks for a filter and a little oil was cheap compaired to a engine or transmission or hydraulic system.

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #6  
Filter medias differ. There is no industry standard. Interchange books only tell if it will fit and it will work. The OEM does not bless an outfit like NAPA when it claims to interchange. Your trust is in the maker.

Being an OEM, I have known that with 100% certainty that only our filters would really prevent damage in some applications. Even the company we used to produce our special filter was not allowed to use the proprietary media we developed. What wax the difference? Depended on how dirty the original fluid was would theirs work? Given a clean operating environment, yes. Given tough environment no.

Can an aftermarket be better? Of course, filters are their business. Pecan you change a very good filter with considerable life remaining with a new filter that really sucks and makes things worse. Sure thing - have seen the evidence.

Can a filter company screw up? Of course - human beings enter the equation and to err is human.

Life's a risk and then you die. It is always darkest before it is pitch black.

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #7  
From motorcycles to mowers, cars, trucks, and tractors, I've used synthetic oils since they were introduced. Never has anyone said anything about there being an issue with filter deterioration when using synthetic oils.

The 'long time' thing is silly. Does any mfgr make an oil that's inherently 'caustic or acidic'?

An oil that caused deterioration of the filter media would also damage other parts of the engine, and that simply doesn't happen.

Yesterday I bought a NAPA Gold filter for my CT445 and nothing was said about the type of oil I'm using (Rotella synthetic)

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #8  
Engine oils are blended to contain anti corrosion capability. Normal use causes some acidic components to form in piston engines. These acidic components are neutralized with appropriate additives and anti oxidants. Rotella, DELO and Delvac are all excellent HDEOs fit for diesel engines. If you want more answers, I suggest a visit to BITOG.......

Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy

As for oil, I run synthetics in all my gasoline engines, non-synthetic in the diesel motorhome. I also use Purolator or Mobil1 oil filters. No Frams.

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #9  
Mercedes Benz is slowly switching everything over to fleece type oil filters, the reason I am told is because with the extended intervals these days in between oil changes the fleece holds up much better. Google fleece oil filters and you will see.

As a side note I wouldn't put a Wix, Napa filter on anything these dfays.

Regards, Fred

IMGP0010_zps54958f99.jpg

IMGP0013_zpsbff74d75.jpg

/ synthetics & oil filter longevity #10  
Fred,

Yes, standard oil filter element material does break down over time. These elements are made of cellulose fibers, and coated. Celllulose of course is the fancy name for paper (tree fibers). So - how long before they get brittle & crack? Unknown unless somebody conducted an experiment. How long does coated paper take to age with hot oil over it?

Point being, per the other posters, you are likely to change oil - synthetic or mineral - long before the filter media ages to failure. If you don't change oil very often (low hour tractor use?), then buy the synthetic element filter (usually woven glass fibers) & don't worry about it (NAPA Platinum, Mobil 1).

As for me, I run all 100% synthetics in all my engines & use WIX (NAPA Gold) conventional media filters. Be careful about choosing filters only based on how much filtering media is used, or the lowest absolute fitration rating. From what I've read, oil flow rate is as important - for cooling & lubrication.

For these reasons, WIX/NAPA Gold have been rated hightly in most reviews & the limited amount of test data out there. Why don't you like these?

DM