Sweet Gum Tree Roots

/ Sweet Gum Tree Roots #1  

man00

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota
Had two 50' trees cut down and their stump ground. After about four years some of the roots have rotten underground making it a tripping hazard.
Also there is some fungus that grows from one of the roots that is as hard as a rock, making it tough on mowing. What would be the best method to deal with the
roots trying to till/dig them up or bring in some top soil to fill in the voids? All I have is a FEL, tiller and a subsoiler or middle buster with a B2320
thanks

/ Sweet Gum Tree Roots #2  
I would say work with the middle buster at the end of the roots, get them loose, and keep working them until they are out. It will be a pain, but doable. I had to cut down many dead box elder and sweet gums when I bought my property. I ground 80 stumps the first year and 25ish the second year. I had a JD 755 at the time, so it was slow going. It took me about three years to get good grass in my back yard. It was always in a state of destruction. I work 50+ hours a week with a 30 minute drive to work, so I can't spend the time I want on the yard. Good luck. Keep at it and you will eventually finish and move to the next project.

/ Sweet Gum Tree Roots #3  
Rent a stump grinder.

/ Sweet Gum Tree Roots #5  
stumps already gone

OK. Rent a stump grinder AGAIN. This time use it as a "chop saw." You position the stump grinder with the cutter wheel perpendicular to the main axis of each root. Next, with the cutter wheel spinning you lower the wheel straight down, not side to side, into the root cutting it. Repeat the process along the length of the root about every 3 feet. The next step is to pop the cut root sections out of the ground and dispose of them.

This process works very well on trees with the roots close to the surface such as silver maple and others.

/ Sweet Gum Tree Roots #6  
Rent a good size excavator and dig them out. Needs to be a 6 to 10 ton machine. Be ready for a fight.

stumped.jpg

sweetgum2.jpg

/ Sweet Gum Tree Roots #7  
Had two 50' trees cut down and their stump ground. After about four years some of the roots have rotten underground making it a tripping hazard.
Also there is some fungus that grows from one of the roots that is as hard as a rock, making it tough on mowing. What would be the best method to deal with the
roots trying to till/dig them up or bring in some top soil to fill in the voids? All I have is a FEL, tiller and a subsoiler or middle buster with a B2320
thanks
Bring in the top soil. Look at some of the threads on here about getting rid of stumps. Drill holes in big roots and pack epsom salts in.

/ Sweet Gum Tree Roots
All the stumps are gone, not any roots on top of ground they are under ground