Surprise Lug Nut Torque

/ Surprise Lug Nut Torque #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
So I'm doing the 100 hr service on my 4500P and re-torque inner lug nuts sounded like a whole lotta work for no pay off.

I mean that I've heard of lug nuts on cars coming loose but it just didn't seem like it was worth the effort, but I did it anyway. I'm glad I did!

First surprise on my duals was the spacer to inner wheel was torqued way more than I would have thought. In fact my manual didn't technically say what the spacer should be torqued to when tightening on the inner lug studs. I figured 55 ft/lbs would be standard and what I torqued mine back too.

Second surprise was that the inner lug nuts. All of them needed tightening! A whole lotta tightening. Many moved more than a quarter turn.

Finally, I didn't take the spacer apart like in the manual. I loosened and re-torqued the center shaft on one but once I realized I could get to the inner lug nuts, I didn't separate them.

BTW I also didn't find any need to re-torque the steering cylinder/ front forks to the crazy 150 ft/lbs it called for. Thats more than I can pull without a cheater bar! Put my breaker bar on that and couldn't move it. Tight enough.

/ Surprise Lug Nut Torque #2  
This is what the torque values are for my Kubota M6040. Inner wheel nuts - 225 ft lbs - Outer rim nuts - 180 ft lbs. Many of my lug nuts were not up to spec the first time(20 hrs) I checked them. At 20 hrs I removed all the lug nuts - one at a time - put blue thread locker on the bolt and tightened the nut to spec. Not a single nut has loosened since then.