superior 394 sickle bar mower

/ superior 394 sickle bar mower #1  

timbowr64

Tractor
Ford, Kabota
I have a superior 394 sickle bar mower and I have broken a couple of the blade bars and one of the guard bars. I'm wondering if the friction tension is not set right on the bars? I'm not sure exactly what this is called, but I know there is a certain tension or friction these have to be set to. Does anyone know anything about these and how to set it?

/ superior 394 sickle bar mower #2  
I have the 7' version. Bought it 23 years ago and have broken some sections and guides as I use it roadside mowing and hit stuff. I have never had to adjust it. I have the manual and it says to make the adjustment:

1) loosen 2 M12 nuts
2) loosen lock nut and adjust M10 allen screw for a clearance of .012 to .2 inches between blade holder and tooth.
3) tighten lock nut and 2 M12 nuts and check clearance.

Here is mine taken apart to replace some guide teeth. You don't need to take it apart. You loosen the two outside nuts a little and then adjust the allen screw to rock the bracket and adjust the gap. It's a pretty sloppy adjustment - not critical at all.

EDIT: Maybe too sloppy. Perhaps it's a manual typo and should be .012 to .020 inches ???

P1140547.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / superior 394 sickle bar mower #3  
My mower cuts fine and when I break something it is because I hit something. Mostly rocks or a pebble will get caught just right. I like to run it with the teeth angled up a little. Out of curiosity I went out and measured what mine measured for a gap. There was a lot of variation. The tightest were about 0.060 and the average was a little wider than that - 0.070 or so. Never adjusted from the initial setting as it was shipped from Ken Sweet Farm Equipment which is where I get parts.

gg

Last edited:
   / superior 394 sickle bar mower
Thank you both for replying and it was helpful. I'm guessing you are using a feeler gauge to measure this with, am I correct? I think the .012 thousandths is a pretty tight fit. So with having two knife bars breaking and one guard bar breaking, I was thinking that there might not be enough friction to keep the bars from slapping so hard at the end of each cycle. I don't know, maybe I was bouncing the bar too much when I had a clog trying to get the hay off.

/ superior 394 sickle bar mower #5  
Thank you both for replying and it was helpful. I'm guessing you are using a feeler gauge to measure this with, am I correct? I think the .012 thousandths is a pretty tight fit. So with having two knife bars breaking and one guard bar breaking, I was thinking that there might not be enough friction to keep the bars from slapping so hard at the end of each cycle. I don't know, maybe I was bouncing the bar too much when I had a clog trying to get the hay off.

Yes I used a feeler gauge. I suppose if you had a firm/hard clump stuck just right and you slapped the ground really hard you might break something. Not the way I have tried clean the bar. If it doesn't fall off when I raise the bar and run the mower off the ground I get off the tractor and clean it by hand. Too much clogging/tearing and I slow down. The cutters/guides are not going to break from whip-lash if that is what you are thinking.

gg

Last edited:
   / superior 394 sickle bar mower #6  
I have a sickle mower that I think is a NH 450, but can’t find serial number or any identifying nameplate. Does anyone know the location?

/ superior 394 sickle bar mower #7  
Could anyone refer me to where I could find a manual or illustrated parts breakdown for the Superior 394?

/ superior 394 sickle bar mower #8  
Could anyone refer me to where I could find a manual or illustrated parts breakdown for the Superior 394?

I have a manual that has parts lists and diagrams - 16 pages of them. Is there any section you need to see. I can email copies. Maybe your parts supplier will make a copy for you.

gg

/ superior 394 sickle bar mower #9  
At this point I'm just looking for something that shows the parts with the associated part numbers. I will ask the parts guy when I talk to him as well.

/ superior 394 sickle bar mower #10  
At this point I'm just looking for something that shows the parts with the associated part numbers. I will ask the parts guy when I talk to him as well.

So you want all 16 pages of diagrams and p/l's ?? You can't narrow it down to a specific section of the mower ?? Maybe show a picture of your mower with the problem area highlighted.

gg