Super Moon

/ Super Moon #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
it is my understanding the next full moon in a few days will be a historic Super Moon,
so called since the Moon will be the closest to Earth we see in our lifetimes.
It should be very large in the sky and hopefully we will have at least one night of good weather.
Get out those binoculars and telescopes and see if you can find the Man In The Moon.
Great fun with kids and grandkids.

There were smaller Super Moons in 2014, but this is supposed to be the closest.

This event might, and i say might..., touch off some pagan rituals. The Moon is a big deal to many who don't follow conventional religions.
Maybe there will be a Moon Party in your neighborhood. The ladies for sure will want some flowers in their hair...
Now a nice dance around the Druid stones would be fun to watch. ;)
Can you imagine some Brits dancing around Stonehenge?

The dark side of this is the wacky behavior that somehow tracks the Moon. But not worth dwelling on,
I'd rather see the huge ball of yellow up in the sky. I've been reading science fiction for over fifty years
and now, for once, we can look up there and say, for real,
someday our children's children's children might live up there.

Are there any astronomers here that could suggest where we should look?
I'm firing up my inexpensive telescope, better than my aging eyes for sure.

We can likely see every square inch of the Moon mapped out by NASA online somewhere, but
seeing the Moon "live", knowing it's right up there, makes this something worth staying up for.

November 14th, this Monday night, unfortunately clear weather not forecast here. Hope your results are better.

/ Super Moon
The next full moon will be the Beaver Moon and will rise on Monday, Nov. 14.
While the event peaks at 8:52 a.m. EST (1352 GMT), the moon will appear full
to the casual stargazer a day prior and after the peak day. The November full moon
will coincide with the moon's arrival at perigee, the point at which it is closest to Earth
in its monthly orbit. Such Perigee Full Moon are also sometimes called Supermoon Full Moons.

So it looks like Sunday night would work also. Before the weather changes. I'll set up tonight for a test.

/ Super Moon #3  
I believe there is another in 2034 do not know if I'll make it though but 81 is possible and Drew will certainly make it

/ Super Moon #4  
I'm looking forward to trying to get some pictures of the Super Moon. I've found that you have to catch it the second it breaks the horizon to get good color. The higher it gets in the sky, the whiter it becomes. I can see it changing color in my pictures from the first one just coming up above the trees, to when it's fully visible, then as it rises.

I also like to get branches and leaves in front of the moon in my pics, or try to frame it with the trees. Some of my favorite pics are when the clouds are out and the light off of the moon reflects on them!!!

All my pictures are with a Canon SX-50 point and shoot camera. The camera does everything automatically, I just zoom in, frame the shot and push the button. It couldn't get any easier!! :)

032 (2).JPG

280.JPG

002 (9).JPG

011 (2).JPG

011.JPG

021 (2).JPG

029 (4).JPG

033.JPG

037.JPG

039.JPG

/ Super Moon #5  
Great pictures Eddie a talent for sure

/ Super Moon
Eddie, I agree, very nice. Nice range of compositions.
Now, do you howl at the moon too? Turn into a wolf?
If any of our members are werewolves they are sure to have quite
the time over the next few days. ;)

I think I have a camera mount on my basic telescope. That is my later today project.

/ Super Moon
I hope some of you got outside last night to see the moon, hard to miss...and it sure lit up the night didn't it?
I put a chair on the lawn and sat there for about ten minutes with good binoculars. Reminds of looking at the Earth from afar, the
dark and light spots.

And where will the first human settlement be? I'd like to zoom in on that spot. See what kind of landscaping is needed.;)

/ Super Moon #9  
Really nice pics, Eddie. Like many others, our forecast is for overcast skies. And I was planning to put on my bright yellow shorts and go out and do a snow dance. We need record breaking snows in the mountains to recover from several years of shortfall.

/ Super Moon #10  
Thank you.

It came up too early yesterday. You want it to be dark outside to get the best color. We will be waiting at our spot this evening at last light for it to come up. If it's early again, and comes up before dark, we will be back out there Monday evening. There is about a five minute window of good color, then it fades quickly.