Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA
Are those listed weights really correct? As in, are we to understand that increasing the width a mere 6 inches takes the grapple weight from a feathery 255 lbs up to a porker of 445 lbs? That's pretty wild, if so. My guess is the 54" is actually 355 lbs, not 255? I see you just copied the website text, but that can't be right.

Are those listed weights really correct? As in, are we to understand that increasing the width a mere 6 inches takes the grapple weight from a feathery 255 lbs up to a porker of 445 lbs? That's pretty wild, if so. My guess is the 54" is actually 355 lbs, not 255? I see you just copied the website text, but that can't be right.
Very good question deezler. With grapples, width is not the primary measure as you would see with other attachments and implements such as box scrapers for tillers for example. The difference between the GX54 and GX60 is 6", a nominal difference, but the 54 is lighter with different steel and is made for tractors below 35HP so as to preserve lift capacity. The 60 is much heavier as it is made for tractors over 35HP, and the heavier grade steel and other structural considerations are aligned with the power of the higher HP tractors. More tractor power requires more durability. Hope that makes sense.

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA
Seems in line with most lightweight grapples. I have found a couple in the 200lb range, but there are lots of good options that weigh in right at 250lb or so. My landpride grapple weighs 250 and I can still lift a decent amount. Not sure how heavy some of these logs are, but they were noticably heavy, and I can't move them on my own without leverage and even then I'm not lifting them.
One thing to consider is that the loader bucket comes off, so adding the grapple only increases the weight by the different between the bucket and the grapple. For example, take a 125 lb bucket off, add the 255 lb grapple and the added weight is 130 lbs, not 255. Hope that makes sense.

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #13  
Lift capacity is either measured at pin or 500mm ahead of pins. The capacity is of the loader, with nothing attached. The manufacturer has no idea what you'll attach and so only rates it for the empty loader. A 250# implement takes away 25% of the 1000# lift capacity.
The topic of whether a grapple is worth its weight has been answered by the countless owners who swear by them. In my experience, it's one of the best investments for the all-around type of homeowner user.

As for size and weight, every machine has its limitations, and safe operation would factor in size, weight, ballast, etc. Maybe an operator will need to cut that tree into 10 pieces instead of 8, because their tractor is smaller---but that's nothing new. Smaller tractor = smaller attachments = smaller bites.

Even the add-on clam shell units would probably add just as much weight as the net weight difference of a 255lb grapple. :cool:

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #14  
I’ve read that you should keep the weight of a grapple below 50% off lift capacity. My TYM (Branson) 2515 has 2200 lb lift.

From the photo, I think I would want more tines on the bottom for raking brush up.

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #15  
Your math is correct. My only questions, is 1000# at pin or 500mm ahead and is that number @ max height or not? Grappling to max height might be needed to pull roots but not always practicaly safe. With that said, currently my forks are all I have and have done a ton with them. Either way, have fun out there.

I actually know the FEL lifting weight buy experience. I once lifted a boiler that weighed 1300 lbs with no attachment. I could just barely lift it so the specs were right.

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #16  
I know nothing about these other than what I have read here, but back to the weight difference. I feel Summit did not do a full job in explaining the weight difference between the two grapples. If you look at all the dimensions you will see the 60-inch has larger opening and is deeper (both make sense as the depth relates to size of opening) than the shorter grapple is. That also calls for more metal.

I agree with Muhammad on a grapple is a great tool. Used mine yesterday to pile limb on my much pile, pulled dead tree from front yard and put on same pile. Used to push a fallen treed back onto the neighbor's property where it belongs and then reach into my daughter's ditch to pick up tree limb by operating joystick rather than my balance and back again for the same pile! Not being critical of Summits product in any way but very pleased with mine from Anything Attachments. It amazes me what I can do with it. As has been mentioned great at raking debris. Have used it to pull 20 feet plus evergreen from my front yard. The ability to clamp it and push or pull works great.

One question I did not see addressed, if the grapple has hyd cylinder(s) on it, you will most likely have to have a hydraulic circuit for it. If you have a rear remote open you can use that. Not as convenient as on the joystick.

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #17  
One question I did not see addressed, if the grapple has hyd cylinder(s) on it, you will most likely have to have a hydraulic circuit for it. If you have a rear remote open you can use that. Not as convenient as on the joystick.
Is there a single grapple that doesn't require hydraulics to operate it?

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #18  
There are ones that have the hydraulic motor on the grapple, but in my opinion they are just asking to be damaged. It may seem like an easy solution, but I honestly don't think installing a hydraulic 3rd function valve kit is much more difficult. Plus you get the benefit of having that valve for other attachments.

Like this: Electric Sub-Compact Grapple from Worksaver

-Joe

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #19  
See that jrushlow76 has an option and agree with his comments. No idea where if the world I saw it but have seen another grapple that does not use hydraulics to open and close.

This may help your hunt. I only know Good works tractor through youtube.com but like what I have seen of them.

/ Summit GX Series Grapples - 54" & 60" Made in USA #20  
There are ones that have the hydraulic motor on the grapple, but in my opinion they are just asking to be damaged. It may seem like an easy solution, but I honestly don't think installing a hydraulic 3rd function valve kit is much more difficult. Plus you get the benefit of having that valve for other attachments.

Like this: Electric Sub-Compact Grapple from Worksaver

-Joe
figured they might be slow on moving, and although they move faster then i thought, your still waiting.

i thought they might be cheaper, but they aren't they are 3k, I am coming in cheaper with a bolt on setup and 3rd function, but i guess it would be slightly cheaper, if i got a full blown grapple, also curious how tugging with it would work, I would think it could hurt the actuator.