Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network
Have you tried Teamviewer? More secure than leaving ports open on your router since all access is thru their servers. Free for personal use.

I have never heard of it, but I’ll do some research. Thank you.

FWIW, I don’t directly open any ports. The router has built-in logic to accept a connection from an OpenVPN client, provided that the client presents a certificate that was previously downloaded directly from the router during the client configuration process. I *think* it’s pretty secure, but I’m not a security expert. I guess it’s especially secure right now because I can’t even get it to work!

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #12  
if your router is dropping internet connection a lot. there may be a issue with the router itself. do you have another router to test with? vpn is nothing special, just find a router with the openvpn software built in. there are other protocols as well your not limited to openvpn.

if your router is dropping internet connection a lot. there may be a issue with the router itself. do you have another router to test with? vpn is nothing special, just find a router with the openvpn software built in. there are other protocols as well your not limited to openvpn.

I don’t have another router available for testing, and I’m open to buying a new one. I was hoping for some feedback on specific routers that have provided a good experience.

I thought the router I have was pretty good, but it hasn’t lasted that long, and the VPN has been problematic.

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #14  
Are you running the latest firmware for the router?

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #15  
I don’t have another router available for testing, and I’m open to buying a new one. I was hoping for some feedback on specific routers that have provided a good experience.

I thought the router I have was pretty good, but it hasn’t lasted that long, and the VPN has been problematic.

i would factory default it, update to the latest firmware, and start over. you may have a config issue

Are you running the latest firmware for the router?

Yes. I've been checking more frequently for updates - hoping there might be a bug fix that will clear things up for me.

i would factory default it, update to the latest firmware, and start over. you may have a config issue

That's worth a shot. I'll need to allocate a chunk of time when no one else needs the internet at home.

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #18  
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X is the best device I've found for the money, but not for the novice user. If you do not have a solid understanding of what you're doing, you'll assume its no good. But there are tech forums to assist with configuration. I run them at a few clients needing to get back to their network, and it does support openVPN client.

Put your provider device in passthrough and let this handle everything else.

Gig on all ports and supports Ubiquiti POE on 1 port for AP, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeRouter-Advanced-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00YFJT29C/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgLLoBRDyARIsACRAZe5CcS0ub0JkryrnBWuucEw48-3D9FWacxMkhTjBrZ6BfeR8FoxazCQaAsOwEALw_wcB&hvadid=153633816453&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009639&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5948695661174301109&hvtargid=kwd-19845967137&hydadcr=18005_9429560&keywords=ubiquiti+router&qid=1561163474&s=gateway&sr=8-4

AP... https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Long-Range/dp/B015PRCBBI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2FPVV14LT6W39&keywords=ubiquiti+long+range+access+point&qid=1561163820&s=gateway&sprefix=ubiquiti+long+rang%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #19  
Always wondered if having a VPN just draws attention to you. That would make the job of the inteligence community infinitely easier to find bad guys if they possibly can (and I can't for a minute believe they can't) watch and record your traffic.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X is the best device I've found for the money, but not for the novice user. If you do not have a solid understanding of what you're doing, you'll assume its no good. But there are tech forums to assist with configuration. I run them at a few clients needing to get back to their network, and it does support openVPN client.

Put your provider device in passthrough and let this handle everything else.

Gig on all ports and supports Ubiquiti POE on 1 port for AP, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeRouter-Advanced-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00YFJT29C/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgLLoBRDyARIsACRAZe5CcS0ub0JkryrnBWuucEw48-3D9FWacxMkhTjBrZ6BfeR8FoxazCQaAsOwEALw_wcB&hvadid=153633816453&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009639&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5948695661174301109&hvtargid=kwd-19845967137&hydadcr=18005_9429560&keywords=ubiquiti+router&qid=1561163474&s=gateway&sr=8-4

AP... https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Long-Range/dp/B015PRCBBI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2FPVV14LT6W39&keywords=ubiquiti+long+range+access+point&qid=1561163820&s=gateway&sprefix=ubiquiti+long+rang%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3

Thanks for that! I have never heard of them, and they are inexpensive. I think I understand what I’m doing, but I won’t swear that my understanding is solid.

Particularly with the VPN, I need to follow directions and hope that it works.