Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network
FWIW...From the Netgear FAQ:

Does the Nighthawk X4S R7800 Router have SPI firewall?
The router has SPI firewall built-in but it cannot be customized. It cannot be enabled or disabled because it is not available even in the UI.

Not sure that this is related but generally a firewall is the first thing to check if you can't tunnel into a remote system if the address and protocols are correct...
Firewall! I turned off the firewall on the laptop I was using with the VPN client and it worked. I was not optimistic, since I wasn't connecting into this laptop, but there you go. Thank you very much for that idea. I wouldn't have thought to try that. (My background was in programming, and I'm not a big networking guy.)

On my iPhone, I deleted all the OpenVPN profiles and downloaded the profile again from the router, and now that worked too. :confused2: When I messed with it before, I was adding a new profile and leaving the original in place. Maybe I got myself confused somehow in that process?

The general internet connectivity has been stable for about a week. If it starts acting up again, I may still end up starting over from factory defaults or replacing the router.

As for Teamviewer or Chrome Remote Desktop, I could potentially go that route if the VPN still gives me hassles. The drawback is that I can only use that to connect to the laptop that is always on at home. From there, I could get to the network cameras, but it would be rather cumbersome when using the iPhone, which is the more common scenario for me.

I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback, and as usual, this place is an amazing source of information for just about any topic imaginable! :thumbsup::)

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #32  
*I have my Google account set up with a strong password and 2FA.

Which is great except you have exposed yourself to Google. One of the most prying and invasive companies on the planet.

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #33  
May not be much of a difference if your proxy encrypts the traffic between you. Most VPN services encrypt the traffic between you and their proxy server. A good proxy server will remove all information as it relates to the system that is at the end point, i.e, your pc. Often used to surmount legal issues at your locale.

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #34  
Is Nord VPN any good?

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #35  
i find it hilarious that somehow the isp's can't be trusted, yet a for profit vpn company can be.....

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #36  
i find it hilarious that somehow the isp's can't be trusted, yet a for profit vpn company can be.....
Theoretically, a VPN provider is selling privacy, so if they sell your info it kind of goes against the whole premise of having it in the first place. Read all the fine print.
Of course, with a "free" VPN you get what you pay for. :ROFLMAO:

/ Suggestions for setting up remote VPN access into my home network #37  
yea you might want to see the number so reports of vpn providers freely handing out the logs, the minute a warrant is handed to them.