Subaru Automobiles

/ Subaru Automobiles #201  
When I bought the Outback in 1999, Subaru had discovered some who bought new Outbacks and Foresters were independent women who liked women. So a portion of the marketing subtly played to that. I took some good-natured kidding at my choice of vehicles.

In reply to the kidding I quoted a friend: "I don't have anything against that preference except it takes two hot women out of circulation!" :D
Why are women who like women “hot” women????

/ Subaru Automobiles #203  
Guess you've never met a teasing hottie college girl who presents herself with a big smile as a GUG (Gay Until Graduation) ?
Maybe thats a “San Francisco” thing???

I tended to gravitate to the women who like guys.

/ Subaru Automobiles #205  
Maybe thats a “San Francisco” thing???
True. a lot of people move to where they can meet their own kind. Ie, SF.

An interesting consequence is DINK female couples making Silicon Valley incomes are buying the small farms around here and putting in showplace 'ambiance' vineyards. Two such within walking distance of my place. Good decent neighbors.

/ Subaru Automobiles #206  
If I missed it, apologies. We have a Honda Pilot that averages about 18 MPG local driving, and can get up to about 23MPG with the vehicle loaded for long (plus 2 hour highway trips on way), but with it being just my wife and I this December, we feel that the pilot is getting to big for us for the fuel economy.

Couple of questions...

1 - Everyone who owns a subraru, what is your average gas mileage and what model is the vehicle?

2 - What's the towing capacity and do you tow anything yourself?

3 - What are the models you want to look for particuarly in the outback model? Been looking on Auto Trader for some time now on the outbacks, and it seems they have a lot of different models and it gets confusing for me. Do like the way the trekker (sp?) looks in the outback model.

4 - Would you buy another subaru again (we would buy another pilot, bought it used for 15K years ago with 75K on it, and other a heavey maintence bill when it got to over 200k, it's been holding well for another 25K miles.

5 - Genearlly we buy used, cash, paid in full and look for the best deal to limit the variables of new car pricing. That's why I'm wondering about all the different models over the last couple of years. Any particular model of the outback you would stay away from?

Always fond of my buddies subaru in the 80-90's, but back then it always seemed to be an oil problem over 100k on the odometer, but I believe from reading here that issue seems to have been resolved.

Genearlly we will ride the vehicle for at least 300k on the odometer, and since it's going to be just me and the wife, may contemplate actually buying something new and not used. That said, our nature is something used with under 100k on it and find the best deal.

/ Subaru Automobiles #207  
If I missed it, apologies. We have a Honda Pilot that averages about 18 MPG local driving, and can get up to about 23MPG with the vehicle loaded for long (plus 2 hour highway trips on way), but with it being just my wife and I this December, we feel that the pilot is getting to big for us for the fuel economy.

Couple of questions...

1 - Everyone who owns a subraru, what is your average gas mileage and what model is the vehicle?

3 - What are the models you want to look for particuarly in the outback model? Been looking on Auto Trader for some time now on the outbacks, and it seems they have a lot of different models and it gets confusing for me. Do like the way the trekker (sp?) looks in the outback model.

4 - Would you buy another subaru again (we would buy another pilot, bought it used for 15K years ago with 75K on it, and other a heavey maintence bill when it got to over 200k, it's been holding well for another 25K miles.

5 - Genearlly we buy used, cash, paid in full and look for the best deal to limit the variables of new car pricing. That's why I'm wondering about all the different models over the last couple of years. Any particular model of the outback you would stay away from?

Always fond of my buddies subaru in the 80-90's, but back then it always seemed to be an oil problem over 100k on the odometer, but I believe from reading here that issue seems to have been resolved.

Genearlly we will ride the vehicle for at least 300k on the odometer, and since it's going to be just me and the wife, may contemplate actually buying something new and not used. That said, our nature is something used with under 100k on it and find the best deal.
Ours is a Forester, averages 32 mpg, and it has been trouble free for 100K miles, just doing scheduled maintenance. We would buy one again.

/ Subaru Automobiles #208  
Yup, that was the culprit both times. Head gaskets. The mechanic said, if you turn it off as soon as it gets hot, you save the engine. If it actually “overheats” it destroys the valve-train followed then by the pistons.
Co Worker bought a new Justy when the CVT came out.

Bought it for his daughter in snow country and at 8,900 miles of heavy back country snow driving the trans was shot.

I imagine it has to be better now but seeing that car put me off from CVT

/ Subaru Automobiles #209  
Sigarms
We had 2 previous Subaru Foresters. A '14, an '18 and now a '23. The 14 had 168,000 mi. The 18 had 144,000 mi. We got the 23 last day of Feb this year and have 18,000 miles so far. The 23 Forester Wilderness has a 3000 lb towing capacity as it has a transmission cooler and the factory designed hitch. This is the most refined Forester of all 3 and for milage on the 23 my average mpg is 32 mpg. I'm retired so not in a hurry, usually drive back roads and enjoy the sites.

/ Subaru Automobiles

Couple of questions...

Our Outback is a 2020 Limited. Only had it about 6 months. It averages over 30 since we've had it, 95% highway use. So far I like it a lot!

Our towing capacity is 2700# with the 2.5L engine. I believe the 2.4L turbo engine has a 3500# rating.

Can't answer model preference.

So far, we'd buy another one, but at 6 months and no problems yet, that's really not enough to go on.

Can't answer which models to stay away from.

Ours had 30K on it when we bought it, and has a dealer provided lifetime powertrain warranty. We (and the dealer) expect the electronics to fail well before the power train. 🙃