Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #561  
Typical MO, no wind at all UNTIL you get a good burn going....
That's why when I get a permit it says to burn after 5:00. That works MOST of the time..

/ Stupid Things I Have Done
That's why when I get a permit it says to burn after 5:00. That works MOST of the time..

No permits where I live.

So, keep my secret so no one in govn. gets any bright ideas!!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #563  
Back when vacuum brakes were used, I kept pulling the trailer brake handle from the front seat of my dads truck. He was 6 tiers of hay bales up on the truck as the whole truck and trailer started moving down a gentle incline. Steeper incline followed that. Don't know how it happen so fast, but the next thing I knew I was laying on the ground as I heard him crank the engine over and start so he could get some vacuum to apply the brakes.
I was 5 years old at the time and he made walk 4 miles home.

Reading the will after he passed, he made special mention of me. One of my brothers still jokes to me about the story. Of course its all laughs now, but I learned about the wrath of dad and his sense of humor in the years to come. He could tell that story 5 different ways that all made me ashamed when I was growing up, but still be able to laugh about it with him. At least I think I was laughing.

I never road in that truck again even though it was on the farm for a couple of years after this. It was off limits to me in no uncertain terms.
I thought if the wrath of dad is such, I don't ever want to be involved in the Wrath of God. 5 year old minds are very impressionable, and I never forgot about playing with the controls on any equipment unless I was being trained to operate it.

Not as dangerous - but just as traumatic (at least to me) - was when I was 5 or 6.

My Dad stopped at a gas station and went inside. I stayed in the car. I was fooling around in the Driver’s seat playing like I was driving and somehow set the parking brake.

My Dad comes back, starts the car and begins to drive away. Well, we weren’t moving so well.

I remember him saying “what the ****” and stopping the car. Looking around. Finally he realizes the parking brake is engaged.

He takes off the brake, looks at me and only says “don’t tell Mom what I said”. To this day I think of this and wonder if he knew I was the culprit!!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #565  
When I was maybe 4, my mother, older brother and younger sister were in the car ready to go to the store. Younger sister needs a clean diaper, so mother and sister go in the house leaving my brother and I in the car.
I jump in the drivers seat and manager to get the car out of park. My brother goes out the window. I go down the slope of the driveway, across the street, between the neighbors house and tree (that my mother says she could negotiate without hitting one or the other) and end up dangling (teeter tottering)over the edge of a retaining wall. Wrecker comes and drags the car back up onto the lawn. No damage - to anything. See, even at 4 I was a great driver.

When I was maybe 4, my mother, older brother and younger sister were in the car ready to go to the store. Younger sister needs a clean diaper, so mother and sister go in the house leaving my brother and I in the car.
I jump in the drivers seat and manager to get the car out of park. My brother goes out the window. I go down the slope of the driveway, across the street, between the neighbors house and tree (that my mother says she could negotiate without hitting one or the other) and end up dangling (teeter tottering)over the edge of a retaining wall. Wrecker comes and drags the car back up onto the lawn. No damage - to anything. See, even at 4 I was a great driver.

Glad to know your brother was there for you!!!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #567  
We can open burn here, no permit required. But our ordinance specifies no burning after sunset, other than camp fires, and no starting a brush burn pile less than something like 30 - 60 minutes before sunset. In other words, if they're going to have to send a fire crew out into a field, they don't want to do it in the dark!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #568  
We can open burn here, no permit required. But our ordinance specifies no burning after sunset, other than camp fires, and no starting a brush burn pile less than something like 30 - 60 minutes before sunset. In other words, if they're going to have to send a fire crew out into a field, they don't want to do it in the dark!
My biggest fear burning the pile or woods is having to call the state forestry service if it gets away from me. Their weapon of choice is equivalent to a D5 (?) dozer with a plow towed behind that makes a 3-4 foot wide ditch with foot high berms on either side. One heck of a mess. Great to have them available though. Examples:
1708985869993.jpeg
1708986731357.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Stupid Things I Have Done #569  
Not as dangerous - but just as traumatic (at least to me) - was when I was 5 or 6.

My Dad stopped at a gas station and went inside. I stayed in the car. I was fooling around in the Driver’s seat playing like I was driving and somehow set the parking brake.

My Dad comes back, starts the car and begins to drive away. Well, we weren’t moving so well.

I remember him saying “what the ****” and stopping the car. Looking around. Finally he realizes the parking brake is engaged.

He takes off the brake, looks at me and only says “don’t tell Mom what I said”. To this day I think of this and wonder if he knew I was the culprit!!
I released the parking brake when I was 4 or so and rolled our 50's Ford down the driveway and into the street, blocking traffic. Police came and I don't remember after that but everyone was calm about it. "Just don't do that again."

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #570  
Believing everything would be ok when warned to watch my back… pretty dumb I know.