Stump Cutter Reversal

/ Stump Cutter Reversal
Actually, I'm not so sure the difference is by year, but probably cutter size. Maybe they changed all of them though....not sure.

/ Stump Cutter Reversal
MR, you're right! I tried one of my larger stumps with the hoe (after quartering) and it doesn't touch it. But had to try it anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A side note: as much I like the articulation and osillation, it doesn't give the full weight of the machine to the hoe. Still the weights and powers seem to average out pretty nice, such that nothing will break. The only problem is for something built good and heavy like that, it's way to easy to over estimate it's capacity (both literal and time).

Afraid for my job Saturday, I'll be chipping all the way and "eating" every one of them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Stump Cutter Reversal #13  
Is your cutting teeth rotating towards you or away from you?
Read my post about how PT says to use the stump cutter.

/ Stump Cutter Reversal #14  
When I use my stump cutter, and I do not get blasted with chips and dirt.

/ Stump Cutter Reversal
The bottom of the wheel turns toward the machine.

J_J, I did read your earlier post but may not be understanding correctly. I read "put the blade right on top of the stump and cut down".

I tried that, then of course adding back and forth motion when I got a few inches down. Still throws chips at me (right from the start and maybe even more when I add the back and forth). It seems to work pretty good when I start from the far side and work backward, but still throws chips at me. When I disconected the BH it sure helped the power, but now the chips really hurt.

Part of the problem may be that I'm cutting stumps 3 to 5 years old; probably peak hardness on untreated deciduous stumps.

Tomorrow I get 3 week old stumps, I'll report back. Certainly take any other advice before then though.

Another one of my side notes, how fast does your machine travel J_J? I think mine is much faster than the new ones (I'm thinking about putting in a "stop", that I can swivel out for transport speeds, and I'll have the best of both worlds).

/ Stump Cutter Reversal
Another puzzling thing, unless I feather the joystick or over travel into the stump in the first place, my front end seems to get a little (maybe an inch or so) relief before holding position. Enough that barring the afore mentioned actions on my part it just sit on top on burns instead of digging.

Also, I should take pictures, but my carbides while not absolutely sharp, don't look too rounded. Any rule of thumb for allowable radius on these (I'm seeing probably less than 1/64th)?

/ Stump Cutter Reversal #17  
I read your post about the technec you use for cutting stumps out sounds like that you use the stump as a deflector as you are grinding it that seems like a practicle way to do it. Another thing a person might do is tilt the stump cutter up as far as it will go and put the stump cutter as closs to the ground as possible and then feed into it letting the leeding edge of the blade cut into the stump instead of the bottom of the blade. I like reading your posts you offer a lot of good ideas.

/ Stump Cutter Reversal #18  
Try this, place the quick-attach bottom on the stump. Tilt the blade down on the far side of the stump , so the stump is between you and the cutting blade. Back up slowly and swivel left and right. I might add, my stump grinder also has a rubber flap on the bottom about 8 x 20 in. Don't know if this is factory or not.

/ Stump Cutter Reversal
Thanks J_J!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No, I don't have the flap; not sure if it's factory or not.

But, I'll try the technique you're describing. Sounds like I was on the right track starting on the far side. Without the flap though, I'm thinking I might need to aquire a taste for wood tomorrow. Slightly longer term, it may be easier to add a flap than reverse the blade. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am still tempted to reverse the blade someday though - if for no other reason than just to be a non-conformist [not sure it that applies though when all the 42X guys are already doing it]. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Stump Cutter Reversal #20  
I hang a piece of wood from my arm cross piece. It stops a lot of wood chips.

Bob Rip