Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #11  
You said "I can start it in gear", does that mean you shift it into let's say 2nd gear, push the clutch pedal down, and turn the key and it starts?
That seems wrong from the other symptoms you describe. Please clarify.
Jim

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600
I was under the impression that my tractor would never start without the clutch depressed.
I found out at currently, the tractor will start without touching the clutch.

So from "off", I can put the shifter into 1st gear, turn the key and the tractor will start and move. It will then stay in 1st gear unless I use a LOT of force to move it into neutral. I'll kill the engine to take it out of gear. If I turn the key again it will start in neutral without touching the clutch. It seems that pushing the clutch pedal has no effect at all.

If the tractor is on and in neutral the moment I shift into any gear it instantly moves. I don't even touch the clutch pedal.
Most importantly, when in any gear or with the PTO on, depressing the clutch does nothing at all. I mowed my road by turning the key with the tractor in 1st gear and the PTO on the bush hog engaged. (Duh, kids please don't do this at home)

Shucks, my minuscule knowledge has me stumped.
You patience and support is greatly appreciated.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #13  
If I understand correctly it sounds like you simply have no clutch action at all, like broken or disconnected linkage.
Also sounds like the switches to prevent starting in gear have been disabled.
As most smaller tractors do not have syncromesh transmissions it is normal to grind when shifting on the move.
Also since the ratios are so low it is entirely normal to be able to start and move when in 1st or 2nd low gears.

I'd check your linkage as it sounds to me like the problem lies there.
You'd also think your connected as generally the clutch pedal return spring is usually fairly strong or stiff as that is meant to prevent 'riding the clutch'.

Good luck!

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #14  
The clutch probably won't unstick in low range. Tie the pedal all the way down to the floorboard, pull the kill cable out and put the transmission in 8th gear. Then pull it with another tractor.
I always drive the tractor by starting in low and getting the tr. moving. then with the throttle I can manage to work up the gears. remember to always have the clutch pushed down. When you can shift the low/high
lever and the main lever from 3rd. or 4th to 5th and get into high range it usually unsticks. High gears put more load on the clutch. It is also possible the release bearing froze up and cut the fingers off the pressure plate.
Gary

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #15  
www.newholland.com = ford/newholland website
agriculture
us-america (were ever you live)
parts store (top right corner) a bit easy to miss
parts catalog (top mid center area)
they list 4 to 6 different 3600 tractors....
looks like a few different transmission and clutch types to pick from as well....

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600
OK so, many thanks to all who contributed. IT WAS STUCK. I also changed the linkage rod from the pedal because it was as short as possible with a 3" travel in free play. Replaced the rod, tightened to spec. Drove around clutch still broken for about ten minutes then decided to do a 2 point turn reverse on a steep driveway, with the bush hog going, in fourth gear, then BING! she was fixed. Please dont try to do this at home. Thank you to everyone again, you rock!

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #17  
Ok so now one of three things. You either leave it parked with the clutch tied down in a disengaged position. Or you park it inside and out of the rain. Or you split the tractor and run a bead of silicone around the bellhousing so that rain dripping in doesn't rust the clutch disc onto the flywheel.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #18  
Ok so now one of three things. You either leave it parked with the clutch tied down in a disengaged position. Or you park it inside and out of the rain. Or you split the tractor and run a bead of silicone around the bellhousing so that rain dripping in doesn't rust the clutch disc onto the flywheel.

It's my belief that stuck clutches are created by condensation, not rain water leaking into the bellhousing.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #19  
It's my belief that stuck clutches are created by condensation, not rain water leaking into the bellhousing.
My belief too.

In fact, my L4200GST Kubota has a hook to catch the clutch pedal after it is depressed to keep the clutch disengaged if the tractor is not going to be used for an extended period.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #20  

Around here clutches don't get stuck unless they get wet as in rain wet or wash your combine radiator out with water wet (long story). Not condensation wet..