Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #1  

Forder

Tractor
Ford
Your help is always appreciated!

Ive been running this old ford hard for almost two years now. Its done a perfect job until recently.

Now old blue wont shift out of gear. I haven't tried High (5,6,7,8) out of fear but I know for sure that when I put my clutch in, and shift into 1,2, or reverse, the tractor will immediately start moving (without releasing the clutch). Then no matter what I do I cannot shift it out of gear. Only after I kill the engine can I "persuade" it back into neutral with a heavy nudge.

One mechanic says the clutch is gone.
Another person says its the shifter or the little springs that snap into the rails.

Either way is there a simple way to find out without cracking it in half?
NH has a part#83407013 rail spring which I am hoping is the little devil.

You expert advice is always welcomed,
thanks, Hawaii Forder

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #2  
I'd say it has to do with the clutch. It seems that even when depressed the clutch is still engaged. This creates pressure in the transmission gears making it hard to take out of gear. Once shut off the pressure on the gears is released and you can get it out of gear as you have found. You need to adjust the free play. If left like it is the clutch will wear out.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #3  
Has it been parked for a while. Sounds like the disc is stuck to the flywheel. Check for free play in the rods activating the clutch. Could also be the pilot bearing is stuck in the crank shaft. Look to see if it has an inspection cover somewhere and let us know what you see.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #4  
As Phil mentioned a stuck clutch disc can also cause your condition. Most times the disc can be unstuck by starting it and driving around and varying the throttle up and down and applying the brakes hard a few times. I've done this with tractors and vehicles that have sat for a while.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600
Yep, she was sitting for about two months.
I noticed the travel on my clutch was kinda far, but it is two stage so I assumed this was ok (my first and only ford).

I don't have my manual on hand right now, but Ill check how to adjust properly. Shouldn't the disc be free before I adjust? Or will adjusting aid the release?

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #6  
If the disc is stuck from sitting I doubt adjusting the free play will make a difference. Drive it around a bit to see if it frees up. I can't tell you how many vehicles I've driven with a stuck disc but every one freed up from driving. You may not need to adjust free play if its just stuck.

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #7  
If the disc is stuck from sitting I doubt adjusting the free play will make a difference. Drive it around a bit to see if it frees up. I can't tell you how many vehicles I've driven with a stuck disc but every one freed up from driving. You may not need to adjust free play if its just stuck.

I have 3 old Fords.
When I leave them for more than a few days I ALWAYS "block" the clutch!

/ Stuck in gear until engine is off, Ford 3600 #8  
Let's think about this for a second...... If the disc is frozen to either the flywheel or the pressure plate the tractor will respond as it would if you didn't engage the clutch at all. For example, idling in neutral, depress clutch, shift transmission into first gear, tractor is either going to move or kill the engine. Nothing in between. It's going to act like you have removed the clutch pedal.....

So, clarify for us, does it act as I described above??? Or can you shift the transmission into first gear and hold the tractor from moving??

If movement cannot be controlled at all, then it's possible it's a disc frozen (rusted) to the pressure plate or flywheel.

If it's simply out of adjustment and is creating this scenario then the pedal would be almost to the floorboard before any action is felt.

First things first. Confirm that the tractor dies or moves when put in gear while running?

Sorry for the long delay,
I feel the lack of attention is not helping but I got swamped and since my other two babies are working, my Ford wasnt a priority.
I feel ashamed because she is my favorite.

To answer the last post and maybe shed some light:

I can start the tractor in neutral fine.
I can start it in gear, I can start it with the pto on.
After starting it I can put it into a gear (but the clutch pedal seems to have no response at all)
As soon as I shift there is a grinding and the tractor moves. I run the tractor for about 15 minutes in 1st gear ( breaking, throttle up, throttle down, dropping my bush hog to the ground and breaking, anything I can think of to free the clutch. ) I ran it with the bushhog on for a while...

No benefits arise. I have a very hard time (almost impossible) to switch gear. Once in gear my only option is to kill the engine wait about ten seconds then I can take it out of gear.

When depressing the clutch pedal it does stop at the first and second stage ( seems a little low) but has no needed effect.
I havent checked the "free play" in the clutch pedal yet but I remember the tie rod is extended to its fullest length. Since I will have some time this holiday weekend to really take a look at it I will open whatever manuals I have to see what the adjustment should be set to.

You guys are awesome and I am grateful for all your help Almost everyone around me has brand new Kubotas and my relic of a Ford is actually admired by them.

I hope its just stuck, but I dont want to create more of a problem running around trying to "crack" it. Is this really the best approach? I will try again tomorrow, maybe put the disc plow on and lift/drop it for a while?