Strange (minor) JD3038 problem.

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem. #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
This to me is odd. My Deere 3038 runs great but I noticed the steering wheel has three spokes, John Deere is imprinted in it which I simply can snap it off, reposition and snap back. Yesterday it was off as usual so flat level even ground (I was on our paved road) I popped it off, turned, back on straight perfect (John Deere is straight). Worked a couple hours, back on road it's way off again.
What would cause this? I'm always sure tire pressure is correct as well as lug nuts torqued. It has 300 hours, I bought brand new. Baffled what could make steering wheel turn? Everything lubed, steers well, nothing loose.
Thanks.

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem. #2  
Hmmm.....verrrrrry interesting! I just so happened to notice the same thing on my bobcat two days ago. Coming out of the woods with a log on the forks, my spinner knob was lower right and the bobcat logo canted. Today driving down the road to the sawmill, logo more centered and spinner knob upper right!

Verrrrrrrry oddd indeed. steering connection not mechanical?

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem. #3  
If all you have connecting the steering wheel to the actual front end is a hydraulic cylinder with no other means of mechanical connection it's never going to be the same. One end of the hydraulic steering cylinder has more volume than the other. The steering valve delivers an equal amount of oil turning left or right so the end of the cylinder with the lower volume travels further with the same rotation or the steering valve...........Mike

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem.
If all you have connecting the steering wheel to the actual front end is a hydraulic cylinder with no other means of mechanical connection it's never going to be the same. One end of the hydraulic steering cylinder has more volume than the other. The steering valve delivers an equal amount of oil turning left or right so the end of the cylinder with the lower volume travels further with the same rotation or the steering valve...........Mike
Thanks! I thought I was going crazy .
Our cars/truck are all straight!
I guess that makes sense. The tractor off I can turn wheel mechanically. Seems odd.

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem. #5  
The tractor off I can turn wheel mechanically. Seems odd.
Yup, you're just moving the oil with the steering motor, basically it's a pump and you're the engine but there's no hydraulic assist. I believe some smaller boats use a system similar to that, no motor at all, you're just moving oil back and forth..............Mike

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem. #6  
On my 4105, the steering wheel rarely 'comes/orients straight' (logo upright), yet it steers/drives straight.

It's a hydrostatic 'thing' that has been discussed on TBN before. Your steering isn't 'off' or shonky.

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem. #7  
I encountered a similar problem on 2 separate tractors, JD 6910 and 6920. I was told there was an internal leak in the steering hydraulics.

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem.
I may just put a Deere decal on each of three wheel spokes. Then it will always be "straight" .

/ Strange (minor) JD3038 problem. #9  
There is no mechanical connection between the steering column and the steering cylinder like current cars and trucks have. Any seal leakage will re-zero the flow valve and that's your new straight ahead.