Strange belt failure

/ Strange belt failure #11  
Ya, you still need matched belts. And I agree with TinHack that the belts being at the bottom of the pulley grooves is wrong. OEM cheaped out on the belts for sure.

/ Strange belt failure #12  
Belts riding in the bottom of those grooves are either worn out or are A-belts used where B-belts should be.

/ Strange belt failure
Well, I guess I'm going to check my Caroni belts before next mow. I'll do that after I cuss the designer who put the roller grease zerks right behind the skids. I got to figure out how to grease the roller without unbolting the skids.
My roller zerks are accessible - maybe we have our skids and rollers at different positions.

What I don't understand is why one of the zerks is inside the belt cover and you can't get at it without taking the cover off. If I hand't checked my belts I wouldn't have realized it was even there.

/ Strange belt failure #14  
I can grease my Betstco/FHM through the guard but always remove it to check belts when I do. btw, one reason I chose more narrow than my CUTs can handle besides maneuverability is to have 2 belts instead of three. OEMs are B-size 59 1/2" but I can use 59" or 60" off the shelf from TSC.

/ Strange belt failure #15  
My roller zerks are accessible - maybe we have our skids and rollers at different positions.

What I don't understand is why one of the zerks is inside the belt cover and you can't get at it without taking the cover off. If I hand't checked my belts I wouldn't have realized it was even there.
Well, I guess i need to look for another zerk too. I don't recall which height I have my skids set too. As I received it, it was fine. I think I raised the shoes. But, it should work regardless and it doesn't.

/ Strange belt failure #16  
I did with my flail mower what I did with my 5' KK tiller, all but removed the gauge skids and after decades of grading with box blade, angle-blade, and landscape rake have learned to use wrist vs arm adjustments on the position control so work to the height or depth desired. IMO if you don't see grease oozing out to be wiped off you're not over-doing that part of PM.

(you guys knew that :))

/ Strange belt failure #17  
I have seen that on multiple belt systems and agree, the whole matched belts no longer needed myth is hog wash. I have been using Timken industrial belts for the sole reason they are manufactured in the USA and they have fit better than any thing else I have tried.

I think that the belts were hot from slipping and once shut down they stuck to the pulleys.

I noticed that the Gates belts that I purchased prior to the Timken didn't feel as tacky. They were also not as pliable, very stiff and the pulleys felt hotter after a few minutes of usage, there was a definite decrease in temperature using the Timken for the same amount of time. I have slowly ordered Timken belts for everything and keep spares for any emergency that arises. No one local stocks them so I order them from Motion Industries.