Strainer or Larger Suction line?

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
I have a 10 gallon tank with a 1 1/4 NPT suction line port. The available strainers drop the outlet to 3/4 NPT. Would it be better to stick with 1 1/4 suction line and leave out a tank strainer or move to a smaller line. Target peak flow is 15-18 GPM,

I probably already know the answer. So if it is to weld in a larger port flange, would a 1 1/2 in port with a strainer that has a 1 inch NPT outlet be large enough for my target peak flow?

My pump has a 20 ORB inlet. The issue I have with welding in a new port flange, the existing outlet has about 1" of threaded surface with which to seal with Teflon tape. The weld in port flanges have about 3/8 " of thread. Will I be able to seal this connection?

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #2  
I have a 10 gallon tank with a 1 1/4 NPT suction line port. The available strainers drop the outlet to 3/4 NPT. Would it be better to stick with 1 1/4 suction line and leave out a tank strainer or move to a smaller line. Target peak flow is 15-18 GPM,

I probably already know the answer. So if it is to weld in a larger port flange, would a 1 1/2 in port with a strainer that has a 1 inch NPT outlet be large enough for my target peak flow?

My pump has a 20 ORB inlet. The issue I have with welding in a new port flange, the existing outlet has about 1" of threaded surface with which to seal with Teflon tape. The weld in port flanges have about 3/8 " of thread. Will I be able to seal this connection?

Or fill cap strainer....

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #3  
The weld in port flanges have about 3/8 " of thread. Will I be able to seal this connection?
Dave,

Check page 97 of McMaster-Carr's online catalog - they show the height on 1 1/2" weld-in pipe bung as being 3/4" .... so ya might get 1/2" of thread out of it ..... :D

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #4  
I haven't finished resding yet, BUT!! Stop right there!! Don't use teflon tape on hydraulics please....

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #5  
Stop right there!! Don't use teflon tape on hydraulics please....

I was going to say the same thing!

And as far as sizing a pump inlet goes, you didn't provide enough data to really say yes or no. Oil viscosity, pump flow, what is the coldest temp you expect when starting system, etc.

In general you can't go too big on pump inlets. If it has a -20 inlet you should try to stick with -20, especially if you insist on using an inlet strainer. If you ditch the strainer you might be able to drop down to a -16 depending on the system particulars.

ISZ

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line?
Sounds like I have to pick up some special tape. I used Teflon on the NPT connections to my Massey, never leaked so must be a issue with contamination?

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #7  
Sounds like I have to pick up some special tape.
Nope - what you need is teflon pipe dope - it's a paste :thumbsup: (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, hardware store, etc.)

I used Teflon on the NPT connections to my Massey, never leaked so must be a issue with contamination?
Leaking/contamination isn't the problem - teflon tape has a way shredding itself as you tighten the fittings - the shreds get inside the hydraulic system and have a way of plugging up the works.

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #8  
Nope - what you need is teflon pipe dope - it's a paste :thumbsup: (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, hardware store, etc.)

Leaking/contamination isn't the problem - teflon tape has a way shredding itself as you tighten the fittings - the shreds get inside the hydraulic system and have a way of plugging up the works.

I agree that Teflon tape can "screw" up...especially if one do not know how to wind/screw that tape on the male fitting, it is definitely at least 50% chance to fail...just from the direction of winding the tape....

>only use it on tapered threads

>don't cover the front/top of the threads

>Teflon need to be properly stretched

>wind the Teflon tape on, by turning the male threads the way you screw it into the female....make sense??

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #9  
I agree that Teflon tape can "screw" up...especially if one do not know how to wind/screw that tape on the male fitting, it is definitely at least 50% chance to fail...just from the direction of winding the tape....

>only use it on tapered threads

>don't cover the front/top of the threads

>Teflon need to be properly stretched

>wind the Teflon tape on, by turning the male threads the way you screw it into the female....make sense??

LOL!! We had a guy we kept giving a rough time about sending him to CEU (continuing education units) on how to rap teflon tape around threads. He could never remember what way to go.

/ Strainer or Larger Suction line? #10  
I have no idea what your application is, but a 10 gallon reservoir for 15-18 gpm is awfully small. You want at least equal reservoir volume as pump output and twice is better. That would explain why the outlet port on your tank is the size it is. It was not designed for that big of a pump.

Kim