Storing implements for the winter.

/ Storing implements for the winter. #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
I moved my summer implements to their winter location today. Removed their pto shafts to store in the barn. It got me wondering what else I need to do for sitting out for the winter?

What does everyone else do for outside storage in winter?

/ Storing implements for the winter. #2  
My 40' x 60' Pole Barn isn't big enough so I park my 1958 Ferguson T0-35 and 5' brush hog outside. I only remove the battery and put the maintainer on it.

I don't cover it, I heard that causes rust. It's been fine outside so far.

/ Storing implements for the winter. #3  
All I have are a bushhog and a tiller. Both are stored outside under tarps. The bushhog is on blocks, tiller just sits on the ground.
Both were purchased used (and in the case of the tiller, somewhat abused), but no ill effects being stored outside.

/ Storing implements for the winter. #4  
you are already doing more than most. Hood up on tractor to avoid rodents.

/ Storing implements for the winter.
Wondered if adding gear lube to gearboxes would help storage since most gears are about 1/2 covered when full to dripping out. Wondered if topping them up more would store better? Then just bring the level down to normal at first use? All my implements have a vent plug on top so almost filling them would be easy.

I also touch up the paint on any newly exposed metal before winter.
E0DB1D61-A722-457D-967B-AB4196812C2F.jpeg

/ Storing implements for the winter. #6  
If you can set attachments on pallet and tarp them...would hurts to lube or spray lube moving parts.

/ Storing implements for the winter. #7  
just rotate by hand the pto shafts occasionally. feel you're overthinking the concern. being under cover will reduce condensation on exposed gears for rust. those gears if operated properly, will outlast us both

/ Storing implements for the winter. #8  
Chipper goes in a shed, lubed and I remove the PTO shaft. The flail mower is outside, but covered with a tarp.
The bucket is removed and stored outside on a pallet, as are the pallet forks.
The snow blower and blade are mounted on the tractor for snow removal

/ Storing implements for the winter. #10  
Everything goes in the barn, tractors included and everything gets serviced and washed (except the round baler don't ever get washed, just blown off). and in they go. I have mouse traps in the barn as well. One bucket trap and a couple bait blocks. Fuel tanks are topped off and I add a dash of biocide as well. Finally the starting batteries are mechanically taken out of circuit.