Storing a Brush Hog Question

/ Storing a Brush Hog Question #1  

DRFoster

Tractor
Kubota B2710
I recently changed my tractor (Kubota B2710) from summer mode (FEL bucket and 4' brush hog) to winter mode (Curtis snow blade and snowblower.)

Being fairly new to the tractor world, what's the proper thing to do with the drive shaft for the brush hog? I simply slipped the part that hooks to the tractor off and left the part bolted to the brush hog on the brush hog, which will be stored outside for the winter. In the spring, I plan on hitting the "male" part on the brush hog with some emory paper to remove the rust, put on a light coat of grease and slip it back into the "female" part that attaches to the tractor.

Is this the right thing to do or should I remove the hole thing from the brush hog? Does it really matter?

/ Storing a Brush Hog Question #2  
I do somewhat the same thing, except for two things: 1. I put the coat of brease on the spline before I store it, and 2. We don't get any snow, so I put on a boxblade for winter road maintenance /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Seriously. Seems like putting a little dab o' grease on that spline right now beats the heck out of emory-ing it in the spring and then coating it.

The GlueGuy

/ Storing a Brush Hog Question #3  
I don't guess there's anything wrong with your current plan, but I don't know anyone who does it. I think I'd just clean and lubricate the whole thing now, then slide the male section as far into the female section as possible and leave it.

Bird

/ Storing a Brush Hog Question #4  
Exactly what Bird says... slide the pto shaft back until it bottoms out...

Exactly what Bill says...light coat of grease on exposed yoke area...

Plus I wrap a paper bag loosely around the yoke area, and then wrap a plastic bag around that and prop it up...off the ground... and take a small tarp and cover it nicely /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

{But, I'm still using my new one for the next month or so... until I can't bear the cold anymore.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif}
18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Storing a Brush Hog Question #5  
I always put my pto shaft up, and I take the safety chain thats around the shaft and put it through the draft link hole on the brushhog, so it doesnt touch the ground. Confusing/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Cliff

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg

I'm moving up to a 4710 or 5205!

/ Storing a Brush Hog Question #6  
Yes sirree bob... that's the way! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Storing a Brush Hog Question
Thanks everybody for your responses! I'll grease up the yoke and slide the two pieces togther till they bottom out and leave the whole drive shaft on the brush hog (prop'ed up and off the ground.) I'll work on some way to cover it too.