Stihl 029 clutch replacement

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #11  
Make sure the chains are compatible. I have a Stihl ms250 and a ms261, both are 18 inch bars but the chains and bars are different. I think the 261 has a couple more links but I’m kind of ignorant on the exact difference.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement
Make sure the chains are compatible. I have a Stihl ms250 and a ms261, both are 18 inch bars but the chains and bars are different. I think the 261 has a couple more links but I’m kind of ignorant on the exact difference.
I appreciate that Dave, I took an old chain with me and had them install it on the new saw to make sure they were compatible.

Mike

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #13  
I actually sold my old 029 after I bought a 261. On my 261 I am running a 3/8 pitch full chisel 18" bar and I have found i is the right length and enough power for it in hardwoods and locust.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #14  
My MS-261C-M is my favorite saw for felling and bucking, it's power to weight ratio is very good.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #15  
029 is a hell of a good saw. Bought mine back 93, I would say since 2000 I have cut up 6-7 cord a year. Replace spark plug coupled times.
Up till last year it would cold start 3 pulls, then it was 7 to 8 and local dealer said its probably seals so i replace them. Use rope in cylinder to remove clutch/fly wheel. Still starts 7 to 8 pulls. Before next load of logs shows up I will replace the carb. Still has great compression. Saw is a beast. Father in law gave me a old 040, probably made in the 80's. Very heavy and loud. That sits in the work shop

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #16  
I have an MS-029 Super, which they tell me is now the same as the newer MS-290. They moved the zero that was before the model numerals to after the numerals. Maybe that helps with all model's parts availability.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #17  
I have an MS-029 Super, which they tell me is now the same as the newer MS-290. They moved the zero that was before the model numerals to after the numerals. Maybe that helps with all model's parts availability.
I am pretty sure the MS 029/ MS-290 is the same exact as the 029. I looked up carb and it list them all for same carb.
Take care of them, clean filter, sharp chains , they will last forever. I also only use stihl oil in it.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement
029 is a hell of a good saw. Bought mine back 93, I would say since 2000 I have cut up 6-7 cord a year. Replace spark plug coupled times.
Up till last year it would cold start 3 pulls, then it was 7 to 8 and local dealer said its probably seals so i replace them. Use rope in cylinder to remove clutch/fly wheel. Still starts 7 to 8 pulls. Before next load of logs shows up I will replace the carb. Still has great compression. Saw is a beast. Father in law gave me a old 040, probably made in the 80's. Very heavy and loud. That sits in the work shop
Mine is about as old as yours, it’s seen pretty heavy use. I’m on the original carb. and it needs adjustment. It didn’t want to idle the day the clutch let go, along with taking quite a few pulls to start. I have it back together but haven’t started it.

Mike

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #19  
Mine is about as old as yours, it’s seen pretty heavy use. I’m on the original carb. and it needs adjustment. It didn’t want to idle the day the clutch let go, along with taking quite a few pulls to start. I have it back together but haven’t started it.

Mike
I usually have to adjust my carb depending on the time of year, lean it out richen it up. I can tell when she is running strong by the sound.
Like I said a new carb in the near future. I used it this past weekend to cut up some down tree limbs, 8 pulls ,. fire up and run like a charm.
Guess I just miss the old day of 3 pulls to start LOL