Stihl 029 clutch replacement

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #1  

mike0000

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 900, Kubota L3901
Looking for some direction, I need to replace the clutch (under drive sprocket) on my old 029, it’s close to thirty years old. My attempts to break it free have not worked so far, it is really stuck. Is it a bad idea to remove the spark plug and insert some rope to lock the crankshaft in place? I’m concerned I could damage the rod or piston trying this. It’s currently soaking w/ acetone/transmission fluid. Thanks for any recommendations.

Mike

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement
Scratch that, I just hit it with the impact driver after the acetone transmission fluid soak and it broke free!

Mike

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #3  
Our local Rural King has a full time Stihl rep there in the Saw section. He can get parts.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #4  
Last edited:
Our local Rural King has a full time Stihl rep there in the Saw section. He can get parts.
Thanks, I’m headed to our RK in the morning in search of parts, hopefully they can help me out.

Mike

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #7  
I use the rope method most of the time. The stops can get broken off inside the cylinder if they don't fit right. I compress the piston against the rope or stop and loosen the clutch with an air impact set on low. Works fine.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #8  
I've used a rope as a piston stop on an 029 (and many others) many times. Then I bought the plastic piston stop and have yet to use it in the 10+ years.

/ Stihl 029 clutch replacement #9  
Depends on your RK for parts. One north of me sells stihl and one south of me husqvarna.

h395rk.jpg

I ended up stopping by a local store (PC Lumber) they sell and service Stihl saws. They had the parts I needed.
I borrowed my brothers new Stihl MS 261C while my 029 was down. I was amazed at the difference in power, I decided to pick one up for myself. I went with the same bar length so chains will work for both saws.

Mike