Steering wheel acting funny

/ Steering wheel acting funny #1  

coupman35

Gold Member
Tractor
Now a L4060 had B2650
Ok let see if i can explain this .Today i went to my friend to do some work on my way there i nothis that my steering wheel acting funny when i was driving my horn button was changing place it stated in the low place then it was going up in circle and if i turn the steering all the way to the right or leaf it keep on turning it looks like in never stops tuning . I check if i had a loss joint in my steering line and did not see any thing .Now am wondering if it in the steering box . Can any one help me out whit this .

/ Steering wheel acting funny #2  
Does the 26 have a horn? If not that’s just a cover for the nut on the column. If it bothers you, you could pull it off and add a dab of silicone calk or similar in there to tighten it up.

/ Steering wheel acting funny
It on my l4060 it not only the horn button i also have a steering wheel spinner knob and it on good and but the time i got to my friend place it had when around 2 times . That a other thing that made me thing there is something not right about this .

/ Steering wheel acting funny
Also when the tractor shot off i cane turn the wheel round and round and the tire dont move .

/ Steering wheel acting funny #5  
This is all normal operation. Every bit of it. There is no Steering box. There is No mechanical connection of any shape or form between the steering wheel and front wheels NONE. There is a hydraulic device called a geroter* that you steering wheel shaft is connected and it sends hydarulic fluid to either a double acting cylinder up front or two single acting cylinders.

*A gerotor is a positive displacement pump. The name gerotor is derived from "generated rotor". A gerotor unit consists of an inner and outer rotor. ... During this compression period, fluids can be pumped,

Last edited:
   / Steering wheel acting funny #6  
Also when the tractor shot off i cane turn the wheel round and round and the tire dont move .
And why should it? There is no pressure to the geroter and therefore no fluid going to the front cylinders that move the wheel hub. So yes the wheel will go round and round and round.

/ Steering wheel acting funny #7  
Oh, and one other thing, you will have ZERO steering action with the steering wheel if the engine dies. Keep that in mind if that ever happens. The only steering you could possibly have if the engine is off is by your split brakes if the tractor is so equipped. Make sure the pedals are "unlocked" so that you have two brake pedals not just one. Then you can steer with the rear wheels after a fashion.

But Orbitrol hydraulic steering relies on hydraulic fluid flow. No flow, no steering.

/ Steering wheel acting funny #8  
Steering wheel rotating slightly when driving straight is normal. Free wheeling when engine is off is not. When hydrostatic power steering was developed, a requirement was having steering to control direction if the engine died. So the HMU (hand metering unit) is also a pump. When stopped, it should be very difficult to turn, and while stopped, it’s likely you will be unable to turn the whees. I watched a video in which the operator tore the steering column completely off trying to turn guiding his tractor as they pushed it onto a truck to haul to the dealer. Amount your steering wheel will turn per mile driven is variable due to manufacturing variations. My L6060 needs to be turned left continually while going straight. My M7 needs very little correction.

/ Steering wheel acting funny #9  
Free wheeling when engine is off is not.

ALL Orbitrol steering systems will free wheel when the engine is off ALL. You will have a little bit of residual pressure but if you keep turning the steering wheel left and right, it will bleed off and will go round and round and round as many times as you want to turn it. This is perfectly normal.

/ Steering wheel acting funny #10  
Maybe Kubota does it different, but on my Branson and on other tractors too, once you get to full lock, the steering wheel stops turning. If the tractor is not running, the steering wheel will still have resistance and will turn the wheels, although it does take some serious force, which is normal. It also won't change position when driving on straight line.

So no, not all Orbitrol steering systems will free wheel and honestly, I don't really consider it normal to freewheel. But I'll dig into some Kubota service manuals to see what they do differently.