Steering arm bellows replacement

/ Steering arm bellows replacement #1  

kantuckid

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4820R
Inner Tie Rod bellows/boot replacement

Both my boot's/bellows are torn off but I don't need new tie rod ends so I am searching for a make do solution part. The common universal steering boot kits are sized for a car so the small end is too small and the next step up is too large. The measurements at clamping point are as follows: 17mm small end x 52mm large end x 50-60mm.

I also searched some for Kubota which apparently has steel protector that's entirely around the shaft whereas my Kioti is exposed except for the top/front shield with the bottom left to allow brush and crops abrasion. The Kubota kits are sold on ebay for both the tie rod wheel end (where you grease) and also the inner end where it has a ball pivot joint encased in what was a bell shaped boot similar to Kubotas. The difference is Kioti uses two thumb & finger or pliers spring clips where as kubota uses two "C" clips with nylon discs involved. From pics it seems theirs will work on the small end but as there's no flat clamping area at the larger inboard end it would be unclamped, just a rubber bell there used on a Kioti.
My model is DK35SE.
If you found a solution I'd like to hear it. Once I, or if I find what works I'll post that info.

Last edited:
   / Steering arm bellows replacement #2  
Both my boot's/bellows are torn off but I don't need new tie rod ends so I am searching for a make do solution part. The common universal steering boot kits are sized for a car so the small end is too small and the next step up is too large. The measurements at clamping point are as follows: 18.5mm small end x 50mm large end x 50mm compressed x 160mm extended.
I have also looked at shock boots most of which are too long given the shorter ones are like 9" and will not compress sufficiently.
I also searched some for Kubota which apparently has bad rubber too, and there design doesn't cover the entire shaft with a boot to begin with but the steel protector is entirely around the shaft whereas my Kioti is exposed except for the top/front shield with the bottom left to allow brush and crops to destroy the boot.
My model is DK35SE.
If you found a solution I'd like to hear it. Once I find what works I'll post that info.

Many Kioti owners have this problem. I was thinking of using that flexible heavy duty electrical wrap that electricians use over regular electrical tape on commercial wiring of electrical motors. I'll let you know how it works out once I get back to work to get some.

/ Steering arm bellows replacement
Look at my edited first post.
Also see ebay item # 333387006631 called Kubota BX & GR inner tie rod boot
it sells for $25.75 pr plus $3 s/h plus tax or Make Offer
If I had one in hand I'd know if it works

/ Steering arm bellows replacement #4  
Watching...

Have a case of this on my NX. And I recently discovered that my UTV also has a torn boot! And in keeping with the theme: on my to-do list is to replace the tie rods on my car (though not a boot issue); and, a full suspension refresh on the wife's car, which would include new tie rods and boots :laughing:

The closest I have come so far is a Bulgarian mfg. who makes boots for tie rods and CV joints etc along with other parts. It's in English and the guy write well in English too. Ball Joint Boot and Tie Rod End Boot from Polyboots see under measurements using the large ID of 52mm.
They have a boot intended for a Toyota 4runner Hilux which is nearly spot on for my Kioti. The only way it's off is 19mm, not 17.5 mm which they guy tells me he can easily change to smaller. The problem is he cannot mail due to covid issues so no cheap shipping until they open back up.
I need to re-measure mine for an exact length as well but I think his item made from Polyurethane and very durable, should work as it is offered for the other appliction. Actually the Kubota aftermarket boots sold in USA on "botaboots" or ebay will work too, I think just don't clamp up the same.

/ Steering arm bellows replacement #6  
I made a guard for the rubber boot to keep it from getting ripped from thorns,briers & sticks while bush-hogging.It started out as a dust cap for a trailer hub. I made something similar for my Kubota back in 2000.I machined those out of solid aluminum bar stock and had to take the end of the shaft off to install. These covers came with new hubs I bought for a trailer that I use bearing buddy's on. That is why I don't like to throw anything away!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
steering shaft boot protector-100_9789-jpg steering shaft boot protector-100_9792-jpg

Ebay seller has two boot sizes that could work OK. One is 19mm/small end, 52mm/large end x 36mm long. My tractor uses a boot 17 x 49 x 37 which accounts for the clamp grooves in the metal. Another choice is 16mm x 42 x 37 from same seller. A longer version is 18x 50 x 49 which might "scrunch up enough" to also work OK. Sellers ebay seller name is - "dmemltd" and price is $9.90 a pair from Bulgaria, w/free shipping.

/ Steering arm bellows replacement #8  
Is this the place that folks have mentioned: https://polyboots.com/

I don't see an appropriate size for my NX. But, I'm not sure I got good measurements on it. Here's what I have:

Outer/Small end: 24mm
Inner/Large end: 49mm
Length: 36mm

Need to consider making up something to help protect once I've replaced these. I'm sans welder (it's on my "list"), which make things tougher. Can't believe that Kioti hasn't addressed this after all these years: took a peak at the latest models and they appear to be the same.