Status of Everything Attachments

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,501  
IMHO metal roof is the best way to go. Hail will go threw shingles
but not the metal. Also last time I checked the price was a few cents
difference. Also it takes less time to install a metal roof.

willy

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,502  
IMHO metal roof is the best way to go. Hail will go threw shingles
but not the metal. Also last time I checked the price was a few cents
difference. Also it takes less time to install a metal roof.

willy

Standing seam is a different animal from the basic ribbed metal that most people use but I see a lot of problems with the ribbed metal. It tends to fade and look horrible in just a few years. The rubber around the screws is prone to leaking in just a few years. And maybe a good roofer could reduce the next issues but any disruptions in a metal roof like a roof vent or valley tend to cause leaks.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,503  
When we bid out our house with our contractor, the metal roof cost was more than twice the cost of shingled. House didn't happen.
Patrick

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,504  
I recently went with standing seam. Twice ribbed/screw metal price. I had it insulated also and heavy rain last night barely could hear it. I'm sure heating bill was less also.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,505  
y’all in luck, EA just announced their new line of AR400 steel shingles. They make them lighter by punching holes in the shingles. Don’t miss the special introductory offer by entering code RUNTEDD at checkout.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,506  
When we bid out our house with our contractor, the metal roof cost was more than twice the cost of shingled. House didn't happen.
Patrick

Locally ribbed metal is priced pretty comparable to architectural shingles. Architectural shingles are by far better IMO. Standing seam is high dollar. It’s several times the cost of the other options.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,507  
If I was going to put a metal roof on a house it would be standing seam. I have no desire to crawl around up there every few years fixing screws. One drawback to metal is that if you do have a fire, it's harder to vent. The simplest solution to that is to not have a fire. :D
We're served by a volunteer fire department 20 miles away. All they would save is my cellar, anyways.

I just think metal is ugly.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,508  
Standing seam is a different animal from the basic ribbed metal that most people use but I see a lot of problems with the ribbed metal. It tends to fade and look horrible in just a few years. The rubber around the screws is prone to leaking in just a few years. And maybe a good roofer could reduce the next issues but any disruptions in a metal roof like a roof vent or valley tend to cause leaks.
Not that it has any bearing in this thread but those leaks can be avoided by simply putting the screws in the ridge, either pre-drill or take a sharp pointed punch or nail to start the hole in the ridge, this keeps the hole smooth and will not damage the rubber seal on the screw, water can't stand on a ridge but it can surely run and leak in the flat.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,509  
It seems the EA issue is not an orderly Chapter 11 bankruptcy under which the company continuous to operate until things get sorted out.

There are reports of no employees at the site.

There are rules wrt filing for bankruptcy and the owner may not have been able to do so. But I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last so will not play attorney...?????

I am 99% sure that under a Chapter 11 filing, current orders would still be filled and that does not appear to be happening.

IMO the EA goose is stuffed, cooked, left in the oven too long and not edible.

The case will be converted to a Chap. 7

What does being converted to Chap. 7 mean?

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,510  
Chapter 7 is a reset I believe. Chapter 11 is a restructure. I think I have those correct.